Zippo lighter of SFC Standley L Gibson, 40th GCAT

Hello

I recently found the Vietnam era Zippo lighter of SFC Stanley L Gibson, 40th GCAT. I am now wondering what GCAT stands for.

I have a similiar lighter of an advisor of the 7th Infantry Division (ARVN, DCAT). I know that DCAT stands for Division Combat Assistance Team. Every bit of information would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Rolf

post-1506-0-45056800-1557098413.jpg

Thank you for your message. Maybe this is it. Even though, my guess is that Gibson was an advisor in Vietnam. Unfortunately, the veterans' database is no longer available to check...

• 2 weeks later...

could be your guy;

Stanley L Gibson Date Eligible to Return from Overseas : 13 Apr 1972 Date Recommended Award Received : 23 Jul 1971 Date Award Forwarded : 4 Aug 1971 Service/Country: U.S. Army Command/Staff: IV Corps Recommended Award: Army Commendation Medal (Achievement) Approved Award: Army Commendation Medal (Achievement) Location Award Presented: Award Presented in Republic of Vietnam [south Vietnam] (RVN) Posthumous: Award presented while Living

Thank you for the details. This could be the serviceman. May I ask where found these details? Is it a public database? I used militaryusa.com as long as it was "online"...

Thank you for the details. This could be the serviceman. May I ask where found these details? Is it a public database? I used militaryusa.com as long as it was "online"...

Ancestory

• 6 months later...
Air Force Brat

I have a masters in GIS geographic information systems, many of these acronyms stem from geospatial data layering and relatively recent applications of this science. generally GCAT would define as Global Climatology Analysis Tool
But thinking this was related to
Army corps of Engineering I looked there and found this.

GCAT

Geotechnical Criteria Applications Team
This technology was designed in part with and for military applications, missile guidance, understanding the battlefield human earth relations etc.. so it's no surprise to find the Army Corps of engineers using these tools and creating teams for battlefield analysis. My guess is, since early forms were beginning in the Vietnam era he was in the Corps of Engineers. The 40th may also be a deactivated group.

Just a reminder to all that it is our policy to request that members do not display social security numbers of military personnel, active or retired, living or dead.

If needed for research, these can be sent off line through our Private Messaging function.

Thanks to all for your cooperation.