I-81 North, Exit 80, Ft. Chiswell, Virginia

439th Signal Battalion

439th Signal Battalion

For years while going up I-81 North into Virginia, I have glanced at this family cemetery off to the right of the interstate, which is located off of Exit 80 in Ft. Chiswell (where I-81 and I-77 converge). This past Friday, I had a little time and finally did so and I am glad that I did.

This is a rather large and old cemetery plot for the McGavock - Tate - Moore families. Included are several Confederate veterans and one Revolutionary War Veteran that I could see.

I was captivated and saddened by a particular gravestone that was located all the way in the back-right corner. Two brothers who served in the Confederate Army (one most likely with Jubal Early and the other with Breckenridge) were killed in action within two months of each other in 1864.

William H. Tate was killed at New Market on May 15th, 1864 and James G. Tate was killed at Shepherdstown on August 26th 1864.

I cannot imagine the sadness and anguish that their parents must have gone through...

post-4009-0-23895200-1539546091.jpg

Very touching and tragic family history. There is a lot of history and Natural beauty in that area. Love to travel through parts of Northern and Western Virginia.

Chris