GUESS WHO THE NEXT HELMET FAKER IS ON THIS FORUM?

stealthytyler

NOTICE: This thread has gone off track. It is not about corporal punishment. Let's get this thing back to discussing this faker and the subject matter associated with it.

If you guys feel you've run out of things to say on this subject, then it may be time to close it down.

Bug

Loosen yiur belt

If you can’t work out why guys can have a bit of a laugh then you need to step away

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so true dskjl, my son was selling some trench art last week on a FB militaria site. A guy jumped on to say he was representing a military museum and they did not have a budget for purchases. The obvious intent was to have it donated. I responded that a museum without a procurement budget is called a collection. He then posted a web site showing it was a museum. Of course upon reading the history portion of the website, it turned out to be one man's collection made available for viewing by the public. These museum, family member, curator, unit historian, etc. scams are just as bad as the faker scams.

While I am in agreement with the majority of the opinions expressed here regarding the intentions of Dom, I do have to disagree with this statement. I am part of a nearly 50 year old historical society/museum. We recently opened a new military component and there are literally thousands of items in the collection. From wood life raft plugs to an original confederate cannon, all were donated, period end of story. All of the members are volunteers and we have NO budget to buy items. It is not a collection, it is a museum. It is an I.R.S. recognized 501c(3) and has attracted tens of thousands of public visitors in the short time it has been open.

Have we come together to purchase items? Yes, but there is no budget for it, it comes through Board approval and it is rare. Have we reached out to veterans and others for donations? You bet! Every week! Without doing so, and in order to exist, we would have to turn to military shows or dealers and where would that leave us? With a load of second or third hand etc... largely non-provenance items. By dealing with vets and family members we get paperwork, photos, bios, and of course the items. All are curated, entered into Past Perfect Museum Software and eventually exhibited. Per best practices as much as possible.

Sometimes we get people with bad stories or items, but they are quickly weeded out and never make the exhibit floor. So, we do own a "collection" but we are a museum in every sense of the word and we will continue to seek public donations like all museums, and we will continue to grow, and as long as I am on the Board I will work against a purchasing budget. It isn't needed as there are still plenty of great free items waiting to be donated. Many people would rather see these items in a public museum than in the hands of a collector/dealer, and I am happy to oblige. What you call a scam, we call existence and it transcends militaria. I still collect a bit, but when I see topics like this I am happy that I also have the museum to turn to. Not much to muddy the water there and it satisfies most of my collecting fix as I get to curate all of the items without the expenditure of money. My personal collection has grown little in two years while the museum is currently looking for a larger building. Sorry for your bad experience Scott, and I can see how it would leave a bad taste, but to generalize all museums without a purchase budget isn't right and we are scamming no one. To say our methods which are the same as nearly all museums are as bad as the fakers is just wrong. We sell nothing, we produce nothing, we just acquire, preserve and exhibit history. Scott

Bug

Loosen yiur belt

If you cant work out why guys can have a bit of a laugh then you need to step away

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen, if I loosen my belt, it will be to take it off and give you a woodshed whooping. ;)

Funny enough for you? Now let's get back on track.

While I am in agreement with the majority of the opinions expressed here regarding the intentions of Dom, I do have to disagree with this statement. I am part of a nearly 50 year old historical society/museum. We recently opened a new military component and there are literally thousands of items in the collection. From wood life raft plugs to an original confederate cannon, all were donated, period end of story. All of the members are volunteers and we have NO budget to buy items. It is not a collection, it is a museum. It is an I.R.S. recognized 501c(3) and has attracted tens of thousands of public visitors in the short time it has been open.

Have we come together to purchase items? Yes, but there is no budget for it, it comes through Board approval and it is rare. Have we reached out to veterans and others for donations? You bet! Every week! Without doing so, and in order to exist, we would have to turn to military shows or dealers and where would that leave us? With a load of second or third hand etc... largely non-provenance items. By dealing with vets and family members we get paperwork, photos, bios, and of course the items. All are curated, entered into Past Perfect Museum Software and eventually exhibited. Per best practices as much as possible.

Sometimes we get people with bad stories or items, but they are quickly weeded out and never make the exhibit floor. So, we do own a "collection" but we are a museum in every sense of the word and we will continue to seek public donations like all museums, and we will continue to grow, and as long as I am on the Board I will work against a purchasing budget. It isn't needed as there are still plenty of great free items waiting to be donated. Many people would rather see these items in a public museum than in the hands of a collector/dealer, and I am happy to oblige. What you call a scam, we call existence and it transcends militaria. I still collect a bit, but when I see topics like this I am happy that I also have the museum to turn to. Not much to muddy the water there and it satisfies most of my collecting fix as I get to curate all of the items without the expenditure of money. My personal collection has grown little in two years while the museum is currently looking for a larger building. Sorry for your bad experience Scott, and I can see how it would leave a bad taste, but to generalize all museums without a purchase budget isn't right and we are scamming no one. To say our methods which are the same as nearly all museums are as bad as the fakers is just wrong. We sell nothing, we produce nothing, we just acquire, preserve and exhibit history. Scott

Let me be clear Scott, I am not against volunteer museums but, as was mentioned earlier, some guys have managed to get 501c3 status and it is in fact, their own collection. Btw, this is a Federal crime but, there is little being done to follow up on the legitimacy of these entities.

Secondly, as a part time militaria dealer, I would say nothing if this had been a one off event however, I have had more than 10 events like this or similar. Most often they use the "curator" title to make themselves appear legit. In each case where I asked for documentation, only one provided it, the Wisconsin Veterans Museum in Madison. They offered to purchase it outright or, if I felt to donate it, they would give me a tax donation receipt. Guess who got a donation from me? The point is, there are many more scams than there are legitimate requests based on my experience.

Of course there is also the "family member" and the "unit historians" which you did not mention. So are you just referring to the museum portion of my statement or the whole thing?

These "scams" as I called them are all part of militaria, whether it be on the faker seller side or the lying buyer side. In no way am I slamming legitimate buyers, sellers nor historical institutions.

BILL THE PATCH

Owen, if I loosen my belt, it will be to take it off and give you a woodshed whooping. ;)

Funny enough for you?

Ha, see you can do it bugme,

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Isnt selleing an item as an antique knowing it is not illegal here in the USA? Why has no one reported him yet???

Is 70 years old an antique?

There are so many definitions of the word antique, that it has reached the status if colloquialism in my mind. There are some countries whose customs laws strictly define it, and some categories of collectibles (like cars) where it is clearer. However, as a society, we use it pretty broadly.

Is 70 years old an antique?

We are going to lock this thread as it's run the course.If you discover somebody else doing this very thing, just start a new thread.If you have further information that is important to this thread, contact me to add.

Robert