Lt. Col. Benjamin Vandervoort’s Rolex Watch

Beef that is neat. I can’t imagine a Rolex at that price. I bought my Submariner in 1983 and the price then was affordable. Much different today.

The Col. Was not in the army during the fifties. He was working for the CIA at that time.

Thanks.

Ronnie

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Here are a couple of photos I got that show the Col. In Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. This could be the watch I have. No way to really know for sure.

Thanks.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-37443300-1539740152.jpeg

post-7752-0-27537800-1539740167.jpeg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Beef that is neat. I cant imagine a Rolex at that price. I bought my Submariner in 1983 and the price then was affordable. Much different today.

The Col. Was not in the army during the fifties. He was working for the CIA at that time.

Thanks.

Ronnie

Ronnie, funny you should mention CIA and show the photos of Col. V. with the SF guys....... lots of older SF guys, mostly SOG, I knew bought Rolex from the Nha Trang and Danang PXs. Mostly GMTs and a few Explorers. I only knew a couple of VN war SF who bought Subs.

Anyway, the SF Rolex movement was started by the White Star guys who noticed that all the CIA case officers wore them. This was part of the birth of the cliche: You can always recognize a Green Beret because of his Rolex watch, star Safire ring (from Venus Jewelry, BKK), Demo (later Randall) knife and divorce papers. This was largely true until the 80s.

I would still just about bet that Col. Vs watch was a PX purchase, not that it matters! Great watch. Get it restored and wear it! I recommend a Di-Modell Rallye Strap in black or brown. That style was popular in the 1950-60s.

donation2015.gif

Very nice. I will google them and see where I can pick one up.

Beef sounds like you have had one of those exciting kind of life. What do you do now.....or should I ask that in a PM?

Thanks for this info you have provided.

Ronnie

• 3 months later...

Classy....

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Simply amazing! What an amazing watch and that it belonged to such a famous officer makes it all that more special!

Thanks for sharing it with us Ronnie! Hope to see you next week at the SOS!

Rick

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Collector of WWII M-1helmets and WWII Airborne items