Odd Vietnam era "belt"/chest rig.

RememberThe5thESB

RememberThe5thESB

No clue what it is, but it looks Vietnam era judging by how it's constructed. Pretty sure it's US too judging by the hardware. I'd appreciate any clues as to what it is, as my best guess is something grenade launcher related...? (Its extremely tiny as well.)Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I do not think this is factory made. It is interesting, no idea what it's for, what are the dimensions of the pockets?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Sounds about right for an M14 mag. No idea if that's what it's for, but I bet they would fit pretty well. Too deep for a M16 20 round mag, and too shallow for a M16 30 round mag

RememberThe5thESB

Strange. It's all close together by laces as well, no belt buckle or anything. I've never seen anything like it before. And theyre quite deep as well, and there's six pockets.

Maybe some sort of unit-made sterile gear? But then, what unit that might have needed sterile gear used M14's?

SEAL,Rangers,SF etc...people who need a 308 platform....and if it was tailor shop/momma san sewn etc they wouldn't mark it US

The straps remind me of the old korea era load bearing straps.

Oddly the thing doest look over built if it was carring heavy ammo loaded mags.

I have something similar built from two WW1 BAR 3 pocket bandoliers with a gasmask bag as a center attaching point that makes it a "chest rig"

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

It does look like thin fabric, but bandoleers were very thin yet still extremely commonly used to hold mags in vietnam.

RememberThe5thESB

Was looking at it again today and noticed some things. The adjuster straps are rounded as if they were fitted with the metal "case" I guess you would call them. And some of the fabric is covered in a strange blackish material on the ends.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

RememberThe5thESB

Ah, alright. So, it's being thought that this is for some more special unit, used for a sterile type uniform basically?

Ah, alright. So, it's being thought that this is for some more special unit, used for a sterile type uniform basically?Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Really hard to say.Could just be something one individual had made up to use based on personal preferance.Some things cant be fully identified to a unit etc if the source isnt known

I picked up something similiar years ago.It was well made and had adjustable straps etc.The item was more of a vest and the best I could think of was it was a commerical fishing or hunting game vest.

Yours is a bit different due to the pouches and ties but again with out a source orphotos of it being worn it may remain a mystery

RememberThe5thESB

Well source wise, and I should've said it earlier. I got this in a box of free things from the basement of a historical center in a little town I used to live in. Got some other Vietnam era things in there with it as well. Like a women's utility OG 107 jacket and some boots. But before that I've no clue where it would be come from

• 4 years later...
HueyGunner74

Do you still have this in your possession? I know this post was made five years ago but I stumbled upon it after having a discussion with a family friend. He was a Ranger during the Vietnam war and used a chest rig almost identical to this. Would love to get more pictures of it if you still have it! Feel free to message me.

Thank you