German Army whistle from Operation DRAGOON

mvmhm

Robert was a Gunner's Mate on LCT 1145 during the invasion of southern France; after the landings, he went ashore and discovered a young German soldier who'd been killed in his foxhole. This whistle was around his neck so Robert took it. After France, his ship went to Norfolk for a re-painting, then transferred to the South Pacific. He stayed in the Navy up to the Korean War. There's a video of him telling the story on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/mvmhm/

He also has a trench art P-38 lightning he acquired in Palermo, Sicily - he talks about that on the video and will be donating it soon.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-51205000-1539364846_thumb.jpg

The whistle is tamped "DE" on the top, and the reverse has a name lightly scratched into it...still trying to decipher that. The chain is the original one that was one it when he took it.

I asked him why he choose the whistle rather than the usual trophy, like a helmet, breast eagle or shoulder straps and he replied he didn't really know why he took the whistle, that maybe it was because it was something he could carry in his pocket.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-45177600-1539364987_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

I was looking back over some postings and found this....Robert donated the P-38...and died three weeks later.

Mark sends

• 2 weeks later...
jweitkamp

Here’s the one my dad brought back with his other souvenirs, all collected after his liberation on 29 Apr 45.

EEC2D158-1005-46CF-9EFB-26EC3201EDEF.jpeg

F5E66A80-F550-405B-87EF-DC75246FD22E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please post a photo of the name? I have done a lot of research on the Germans killed in Operation Dragoon. 
That chain is a US type as far as I can see and was probably added by Robert. I dont think Germans wire these around their necks in any case.