Unknown patch - Ranger !

doughboy

I picked up one of these, while at Graf during REFORGER '71. They were made at what I've always called "that place in Graf"- their primary $$$$ came from nametapes, but they made an awful lot of small unit patches (avn cos, ADM plats, etc). The owner told me they were made in the '67-'69 time frames. If you go to USARMYGERMANY.COM, you will see there were 3 battalions of 36th Inf w/3AD in those years. With several reflags, the 36th bounced around Kirchgons, Butzbach, Friedburg and Gelnhausen.

The room where they were made was a scene, right out of Dante's Inferno - about 30 industrial grade sewing machines, all linked to a paper tape fed computer. All at one time, the machines cranked out different colors, on large OG bolts of cloth. The noise was deafening...... thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk...... Over the years, a lot of these peoples' patches appeared in the Trading Post and shortly there after would on the US market appear as well made US fakes. But, just like RVN-made stuff - once you learn the traits of their stuff, it's very easy to spot "the real deals".

More info

Nickname for 1st Bn 36th Inf - "Spartans" (still active + still using nickname)

" " 2nd Bn 36th Inf - "Ranger"

" " 3rd Bn 36th Inf - Bayonet" (we pubbed an article on this unit insignia in The Trading Post AJ 2010).