SERGEANT MAJOR of the ARMY WEARING NEW UNIFORM

firefighter

Any idea what the overcoat will be? Wouldn't be wool OD right, that would be real retro, perhaps then a reintroduction of a Taupe shade, ditto for the raincoat, Taupe, or a combine overcoat/raincoat in Taupe, just like the currebt Black one

Brig,

Thankd for pointing out that, fortunately, the USMC has not bought into this uniform change madness.

For dress uniforms, yes.

However, as far as field uniforms go, I would say the Marines STARTED the current "uniform change madness" when they went to the MARPAT in the early 2000's.

Up until that time, for over 20 years all 4 services seemed to do just fine with the same utility/field uniform, the BDU/DCU. But as soon as the Marines got their own, every other service had to change as well and now you have the ridiculous situation of 4 services serving in the SAME theaters of war, under the SAME conditions, and wearing DIFFERENT uniforms.

That's just ridiculous. If the MARPAT was the superior combat uniform for the various theaters of operation we find ourselves in, then that uniform should be the standard for everybody.

For dress uniforms, yes.

However, as far as field uniforms go, I would say the Marines STARTED the current "uniform change madness" when they went to the MARPAT in the early 2000's.

Up until that time, for over 20 years all 4 services seemed to do just fine with the same utility/field uniform, the BDU/DCU. But as soon as the Marines got their own, every other service had to change as well and now you have the ridiculous situation of 4 services serving in the SAME theaters of war, under the SAME conditions, and wearing DIFFERENT uniforms.

That's just ridiculous. If the MARPAT was the superior combat uniform for the various theaters of operation we find ourselves in, then that uniform should be the standard for everybody.

Oh, we certainly did start the digi envy phenomenon. And while I will agree that the copyright was going a bit far and unnecessary...we didn't tell/make/coerce every other service to change from the tri-colors, much less multiple times. They made those decisions on their own. You said yourself...we changed it once after over 20 years. After that long, I don't think there's anything wrong with a change.

Navy attached to Marines are authorized to wear MARPAT. The Navy had no reason to come out with a blue digi uniform...it's not going to hide them on a big floating hunk of steel, and it certainly isn't any use on the battlefield, unless we all start treading water and shooting at each other. In which case I'm more concerned about the guys in their scuba suits than the mechanics and technicians in digi.

Now, granted, the USMC also has the FROG suits...but those are only for wear in theater, if prescribed, and are to be turned back in upon returning from deployment. I wore the deserts in Afghanistan, and I was issued the woodlands in Europe but we never wore them, so 600 sets of mint, unworn, servicable woodland FROGS went right back into circulation...waste not, want not.

• 3 weeks later...

If they bring back the Ike jacket many troops will have to go to gym more now. The soldiers of WW2 to Vietnam at least were pretty skinny guys. Most guys also didn't pump iron and get those broad shoulders like you see now. 34-40 seems to be the average chest with a weight of maybe 165. Once you get a gut, the Ike will look pretty funky on a soldier.