Size A-14 Oxygen Mask

Centurion1982

Centurion1982

Hi,

I have purchased this A-11 Leather Flying Helmet, Size Large.

What size of A-14 Oxygen mask would fit the best on this Flying Helmet, Medium or Large?

Thanks,

Marcel

post-158821-0-40416200-1539113770_thumb.jpeg

post-158821-0-99197000-1539113777_thumb.jpeg

If you will be using it on the mannequin in your photos, where your large size A-11 appears to be a snug fit, I would recommend a size "Large" A-14. If being displayed on a Styrofoam head that we collectors commonly use, a "Medium" may be more appropriate. Of course if you will be displaying it at the ready possition, rather than being worn, then size is not really an issue. Price should not be a factor, as both sizes typically sell in the same price range.

Centurion1982

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

I have found this A14 Oxygen Mask. Only the strap on the left is not attached anymore to the mask.

Is it possible to repair this?

How difficult would this be?

Do you need to replace the button on the mask for this?

Thanks,

Marcel

post-158821-0-86328500-1539750695_thumb.jpeg

The buttons are a hard plastic and can be removed from the mask intact, but there is no reason to do so. If the rubber on the straps is still flexible, it can easily be reattached. Just center the hole in the cut end of the strap over the button first and gently stretch it out over the top. Once it is in place, push up on the backside of the button from inside the mask and do the same with the other hole in the strap. Once done, the attachment on the wearer's right side should be back in its original position. With age, the straps can lose their flexibility in some cases and can also tear at stress points. If this happens, they can often be repaired by joining the broken ends, securing them with cement and reinforcing the joint on the back side, where it won't show when displayed. The A-14 mask disassembles rather easily into components, except for the molded facepiece, so if worse comes to worse, it's possible to take the good parts from two damaged masks and combine them into one complete example.

Although the article at the link below is about Navy use of the A-14, the mask and its components are the same as those used by the USAAF. I provided lots of photos of the masks and a diagram with a list of the component parts can be found there as well:

https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_34.html

• 1 month later...

Is there anyone out there who reproduces or has a source on the rubber straps that hold the straps that physically attach the mask to the helmet? I have a mask but the leather is starting to crack and dry rot. Id like to display it on a mask but im afraid its soon about to break. If there is anyone who has a source on these I would be grateful.

The straps for A-14s are almost impossible to find on the loose, but A-14 masks are still very available. It will probably be easier to get another mask in better condition than find the straps by themselves.

Is there anyone out there who reproduces or has a source on the rubber straps that hold the straps that physically attach the mask to the helmet? I have a mask but the leather is starting to crack and dry rot. Id like to display it on a mask but im afraid its soon about to break. If there is anyone who has a source on these I would be grateful.

Best I could come up with was something about the right size in black rubber. Not perfect but it was good at the time for the mask that was a placeholder until I could get a better one.

post-68384-0-31155000-1542771737_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully I can help with the straps. Or at least I hope to be able to in the near future. I have found a large sheet of the appropriate thickness rubber. The only issue is that it is not the correct shade of OD green. It's a lot lighter. From what I am finding it is not possible to dye the rubber a darker shade because it is silicon based. I am trying to find a manufacturer that produces rubber in the correct color but this is turning out to be a rather difficult challenge.

Does anyone know exactly what type of rubber these masks were made of? I assume they were probably neoprene rubber? If I can make this happen I will gladly provide the material source.

• 1 month later...
Centurion1982

If you will be using it on the mannequin in your photos, where your large size A-11 appears to be a snug fit, I would recommend a size "Large" A-14. If being displayed on a Styrofoam head that we collectors commonly use, a "Medium" may be more appropriate. Of course if you will be displaying it at the ready possition, rather than being worn, then size is not really an issue. Price should not be a factor, as both sizes typically sell in the same price range.

Thanks, size large was the perfect size!

post-158821-0-46236100-1549397898_thumb.jpeg

post-158821-0-60013300-1549397928_thumb.jpeg