C-1, Can anyone explain this one to me: Upper Deck Aviation Relic Cards

mohawkALSE

phantomfixer

499.00 ?? fishing or a typo...and it stands to reason, they must have a stash of cut up holsters and other vest parts, as they had the carton printed specifically for the C-1 vest....

post-155518-0-84230300-1539087818_thumb.jpg

I think Upper Deck might be one of those companies that cuts up sports uniforms and sells them off piece by piece in order to increase profits.

I could not find this on their current website.

I dunno, but think it is a collector card collector thing. It's not so much the cut up item, as it is the "card" it is part of, that is the collectible object. That said, 500 bucks!!!????!!!

Mikie

They are a large "baseball card" company that has gone beyond just the cardboard cards. In 1998 they cut up a Babe Ruth bat or two to sell the pieces, something even Upper Deck knows is controversial:

babe.jpg

"Collector's hearts will certainly soar if they discover these innovative collectibles" I love it, they must be insane over at Upper Deck. Now those ebay ones are that sellers price, no idea on Upper Deck's MSRP but if those are accurate prices... good lord. Why pay that for an encased cut up part of holster when you can buy a whole vest and frame it for much less. I see they cut up helmets as well. That company is way out of touch with any Aviation or Militaria collectors.

This reminds me of an estate sale I attended that had a few hundred swords and bayonets, all price above ebay prices.

But, people were buying them up, mostly women who were buying them as presents for a man who likely was not a militaria collector.

I can see someone buying these as a gift for a non-collector.

I know that many of us on the forum have long expressed concern about breaking up groupings, but this goes further, literally breaking up a single item. Presumably when they cut up an item, it helps boost the price all of the similar items that remain intact.

I would like to think they are cutting up scrap items with no other value, but as Bob pointed out they have done this with celebrity sports uniforms.

The idea is that most collectors could never buy the complete item, or the have the storage space for it. So break it down into smaller, "more affordable" pieces.

This is not only done in sports, but I also have seen where they have done it with clothing and costumes worn on TV shows, and presumably movies. I was cruising though eBay one day looking for items from the Big Bang Theory. Same thing... costume items cut into 2 inch squares. It explained why the wardrobe changed from season to season.

One intriguing item on their page for Aviation Relics was a piece of an ME-110. Where, pray tell, did they come up with that? Again, for aircraft parts, they could have been unusable left overs from a museum restoration.

Have spoken to a friend recently about the card companies.He spoke of the different ways they promote or add a "collectible" to a series etc.Had never heard of it and it was the first thing that I thought of when I saw the boxed holster scrap...guess I know whay I can do with a stiff usmc camo poncho

The card companies promote a certain number of special or relic cards per case. People buy them by the case hoping to get these relic cards. If they get one, they sell it for big bucks. The card company sells cases of cards, and the card buyer hopes to make $$ selling the card down the road. Capitalism at it's finest. I guess.

Capitalism is good - this is just silliness.

I first thought that since many C-1 holsters were removed, either for post-war fishing use or to allow a more comfortable fit, that one was found and was trying to be sold as a stand alone item. The B-17 crewman helmet, Ruth bat, and these other bits of wool and such now suggest otherwise. Heck, why not just cut any item up and call it "from a famous person"? How could one substantiate or disprove it?

I think "Ebayism" at it's finest is more appropriate.

JMO,

Dave

You have to remember too that the people that are buying these or interested in them probably have no knowledge really of the actual items in them. I would doubt many actual militaria collectors are interested in these. So even with a simple C-1 vest cut up, it seems like it's a really neat, rare item. But then it's also just the rareness of them.

The odds to get these cards are 1:480 packs for the regular size ones, and 1:1,920 for the redeemable larger cards. Some are pretty neat looking, but their 'rarity' drives their price, not the actual item itself most times.