Help with Naval rating ID: OB Ordnance Battalion

JimD

Salvage Sailor

Photos of African American Ordnance Battalion uniform from my collection - He has the OB mark upside down on his sleeve, seems deliberate and I'm sure it meant something to him.

I also have his whites around here somewhere with the OB sewn on correctly

11 06 10 008.jpg

11 06 10 010.jpg

11 06 10 003.jpg

11 06 10 006.jpg

11 06 10 005.jpg

11 06 10 007.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies. Seems like a somewhat rare rate.

I was going to put it in my $5 box at the next militaria show here in Arizona in November but I think I'll keep it.

Jim

David Minton

Thanks for the quick replies. Seems like a somewhat rare rate.

I was going to put it in my $5 box at the next militaria show here in Arizona in November but I think I'll keep it.

Jim

What you have is a Distinguishing Mark, Rather than a Rating Badge. OB Rating Badges are quite uncommon (I don't think I have one) as they were never authorized. The OB Distinguishing Marks are pretty common as loose patches, however (far less common on uniforms). I think I have a small pile of loose patches somewhere.

In the tidbits of useless information department....

The mid 1970s transition to the "new" USN one for all uniform marked the end of the 'distinguishing mark' for enlisted sailors. The April 1973 issue of ALL HANDS had a Q & A article about the new uniform, and one item mentioned that the use of distinguishing marks will be going away. It was noted as not being suitable for a coat and tie uniform.

I would wonder if a timeline connection could be made between the creation of a lot of the breast pin on qualification insignia and the 'ribbon only' awards to take the place of the distinguishing marks.. Probably those decisions were in the works or close to approval when the USN changed back to the current uniform in 1980sh.. No sense re-inventing the wheel again.

Im loving this uniform! He was a Seaman First Class. Amphibious Forces. Gunners Mate Striker. Assigned to Ordenance Battalion. His job was to transfer ordenance from depots to Amphibious ships. This is an amazing uniform

Salvage Sailor

Thanks Steve,

I just wish I could ID him in the bootcamp photo to put a face to his name. Anyone with access to fold 3 care to look up his duty stations?

• 3 weeks later...

What most Non-Navy folks do not understand, is that the main function of Gunners Mates, was Magazines and ammunition. They also maintained weapons.

This is a great uniform. Thank you for sharing.

I'm one of those non-Navy folks who is willing to admit I find the Navy ratings badges and distinguishing marks a bit confusing. But also find them fascinating. That's why I always check out any posts that I see about them. Always looking to get edumacated. Thanks!

Mikie

What most Non-Navy folks do not understand, is that the main function of Gunners Mates, was Magazines and ammunition. They also maintained weapons.

This is a great uniform. Thank you for sharing.

Yup..G-2 Division on a CVN! They were also responsible for mag sprinklers.