Bentonville & Averasboro North Carolina Battlefield BULLET WOOD Collection

That’s a great collection! With all the shapes, angles and sizes it looks like a piece of art put together like that. I need to add a bullet in wood to my humble CW collection.

Frank

I had the pleasure of visiting the Bentonville battlefield a few years ago. Man was I pissed when I got home and somewhere between the camera and the computer, all my photos went into the Twilight Zone.

Mikie

• 2 weeks later...

Nice collection, have you a ball-park idea what percentage of these bullets are round balls?

Thanks, Illinigander

I didn't count them, but most are Enfield type conical bullets...There is a larger piece of wood not shown here with a grooved bullet that may be a Whitworth round.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at this fantastic collection again since my October reply and a question came to mind.

For the individual who doesn't have the means of searching the battlefield sites as you have, is there a way of telling if one found at a gun or antique show is authentic?

Again great pieces.

Thanks,

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool. I have two bullet in wood pieces I picked up from an antique store. Unfortunately there was no info as to where they came from. Both are round balls.

It is my understanding that in the years following the war, locals would grab the family rifle and fire rounds into a nearby tree, then cut them out and sell them to souvenir hunters as they came through.

I sometimes wonder if that is where mine came from...