1944 Mk I Illumination Grenade Rarity and Value

thebearpack

Hello everyone. Was wondering if there's any value to a mint and original condition Mk I illumination grenade with the shipping canister and intact label. This one was made by I.F.S. in October 1944. Curious as to how rare and/or collectible they are. Don't have pictures just yet. Thanks in advance.

So here's the problem: this thing might be live. It was found in an original shipping tube still sealed with what looks like period tape. Not sure if it's worth screwing with versus calling the local PD to take away.

So here's the problem: this thing might be live. It was found in an original shipping tube still sealed with what looks like period tape. Not sure if it's worth screwing with versus calling the local PD to take away.

Problem? What problem? I will give you $75 plus shipping. No laws against an illumination grenade, most modern maritime flares have more " juice" ( candlepower) . Why panic and destroy a historical artifact?

Interesting. I like the sound of $300 more than $75! I understand that these weren't explosive so much as made to burst apart and illuminate but still, I'd like to be careful with it. Is it foolish to unscrew the fuse? How does one deactivate it?

Interesting. I like the sound of $300 more than $75! I understand that these weren't explosive so much as made to burst apart and illuminate but still, I'd like to be careful with it. Is it foolish to unscrew the fuse? How does one deactivate it?

Sure you can unscrew the fuze....it just has a length of quick match set for a 7 second delay. Only the bottom half has the illuminating compound with a black powder starting charge...

You can unscrew the fuze, and pop it...I wouldn't bother with the charges...although it would be worth more unmessed with...

Very nice, unique. Wonder why we still put munitions in fibre tubes and not plastic. Unfortunate for the rusty spot, however, a rare piece. If I was you, I would leave it as is, do not try to deactivate it. Store it in the fibre tube in a steel ammo can, it will last forever, I have a few live M18's smokes in the black fibre tubes placed in ammo cans. IF you absolutely feel the need to deactivate it, ( it will lose value and novelty), unscrew the fuze assy., pour motor oil or penetrating oil into the case ( let soak overnight and empty) and take the fuze igniter-( it is not a detonator, but only an igniter) place in a vice on your driveway or yard and pull the pin...careful to hold onto the loose spoon so it does not get scratched up...in about 3-5 seconds ( some say it has a seven second fuze)...it will pop, light up , smoke and burn a sec or two, let cool and reinstall into the body. The residual motor oil in the soaked case will keep the blackpowder and incendiary charge inerted forever with the fuze screwed in. Keep in mind, this item is no more dangerous than the common road flare.

Thank you very much. I won't deactivate or otherwise mess with it thanks to the advice given here. Definitely going to find it a new home though, as it's not something I collect or need. Wish I could find a local buyer but guess UPS Ground marked like ammo or similar would be okay.

So big question: is it a $75 item or a $300 item?!

Honestly, mint, unused, still live, in all its original packaging...probably closer to $300...

But ultimately whatever someone is willing to pay....

What Pzjgr said, but I know of a huge grenade collection is being auctioned off in about 10 days, they have one listed. I will see what it brings, it will be a good reference price for yours in the container and live.

• 1 month later...