UNUSUAL CURLY "B" WING - Positive Identification Beech Aircraft Corp

COOKIEMAN

UNUSUAL CURLY "B" WING How many of you have a wing in your collection and often wondered what it was used for. Well, after recently going through some c.1943 Beech Aircraft Employee Newspapers, the wing is no longer mis-/unidentified. It is a hat badge worn by Beech Plant Protection personnel during WW2.

There are two varieties I am aware of. One is patina silver with a centered brass "B". The second is all chrome. Both are double screw back.

The attached news paper clipping confirms the identification

post-14361-0-08408300-1538845841.jpg

post-14361-0-97695500-1538845962.jpg

Some additional information that some of you might be interested in. I have a couple of Auxiliary Military patches, but their purpose was some what unknown to me. Identity and use of the patches was also found in a 1943 Beech Newspaper. I hadn't known until now that Plant Protection Personnel at war production facilities had been militarized.

post-14361-0-33908400-1538846702_thumb.jpg

post-14361-0-02178500-1538846833.jpg

This, fellow members, is the perfect example of what our membership, young and old, bring to the Forum. Many thanks for sharing! Jack

It can be very difficult to find information like this, so thanks very much for taking the time to post it.

It benefits all of us that enjoy collecting and researching wing badges.

John