1870s canteen and haversack, 1st WA Vol. Inf. markings

agate hunter

agate hunter

1870s model canteen and haversack (haversack is M1878, canteen is either '78 or '74, can't remember which or if they are one in the same).

Anyway, being a collector of local items, I find these markings to be amazing - the 1st Washington Volunteer Infantry served in the Philippines during the Spanish American War and the Philippine Insurrection - Co. D was from Seattle.

But, these markings appear fishy to me, almost "too good to be true?"

I find it a bit odd how fresh the markings appear to be, and how used the gear is. If you notice on the canteen, the soldier's number "42" with the US on the backside is very faded, while a fresh "42" appears on the side with the WA markings. The "42" was stamped fresh over a faded "42" on the haversack. I cannot find a date on the haversack, it is in very used shape as well.

As for the cup, it looks civilian from the time period, but appears to have been added later to the canteen for display? Note the newer leather string attaching the cup.

This set was acquired from a friend who's been collecting for 70+ years. He doesn't remember where he got these from.

Would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on these. Original markings from the 1890s or added later?

post-10495-0-75550300-1538730517_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-94212400-1538730526_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-16826900-1538730535_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-43301600-1538730544_thumb.jpg

VolunteerArmoury

Was this the way Washington militia actually marked things? The couple Washington items I’ve had were marked WA rather than WV. I always took those to be West Virginia. I have seen WV over top of the rifles where the D is but was told that W V to either side of the rifles was also a way their forces marked stuff. I’ve also seen Washington Artillery mark things with WA which I mistook for Washington state.

agate hunter

I havent seen any other examples of Washington Volunteer Infantry gear, but I know the abbreviation of Washington was WN til about after WW2. Then it became WA.

VolunteerArmoury

I havent seen any other examples of Washington Volunteer Infantry gear, but I know the abbreviation of Washington was WN til about after WW2. Then it became WA.

I wasnt familiar with the WN abbreviation. Ive seen WASH & Wash many times on old gear. I had always understand WA was used also but ya know not everything were taught by more experienced collectors is correct. Perhaps what I have marked WA is actually Washington Artillery.

Nice find Buda, I'm envious :)

I have several photos of the Wash Volunteers in PI, but none of them have high enough resolution to see any markings. As you mentioned, WN was definitely the common abbreviation for Washington, but it does look a little odd with the small N. I have an 1899 photo of a 1st Wash guy that shows a hat insignia that is crossed rifles with WASH in the bottom of the cross. I also have a 1905 era haversack that says WASH, again at the bottom of the cros. However, lacking any other evidence, I would not discount these pieces as being period correct.

In case you didn't know, Company D was from Seattle.

Will you be at OFM next month? I would love to be able to take a look at them.

Peter