Ww2 engineer patch ID help

Adg105200

My grandfather was a army engineer after ww2 ended and served for about a year overseas in France with the 1253rd during 1946. The thing that is confusing is the shoulder patches on him and his buddies in photo we have of him.

Maybe a ADSEC special engineer patch??? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Photos:

post-179495-0-77038400-1538596420_thumb.jpg

Andrew

ETO Advanced Base patch.

-Ski

Thanks for the reply!

Who all wore these patches? Is there any history on it?

Thanks again!

Andrew

Here is a pic of the patch. During the war, the 1253rd was attached to the 9th US Army, so the men of the battalion wore that patch, too. It may be on the right shoulders of the GIs in the pic.

Post war, The ETO COM Z was largely an administrative logistics unit. The Armies and Corps went home. Many different units were attached to COM Z.

Send a PM to me and I will send u a COMZ patch.

post-622-0-85262600-1538598978.jpg

Here is a pic of the patch. During the war, the 1253rd was attached to the 9th US Army, so the men of the battalion wore that patch, too. It may be on the right shoulders of the GIs in the pic.

Post war, The ETO Advanced Base/COM Z (Communications Zone) was largely an administrative logistics unit. The Armies and Corps went home after the war. Many different units were attached to COM Z.

Post war, The ETO COM Z was largely an administrative logistics unit. The Armies and Corps went home. Many different units were attached to COM Z.

Thanks a ton! PM sent

Andrew

Is there any specific timeline of when those patches were used?

Andrew

For this patch here, the 1st type really, 30 September 1943-25 February 1944, it's superseded on that date by the more familiar one, the type with the Army Service Forces insignia incorporated into it, and worn approximately till late February-mid March 1946.

post-34986-0-72167600-1538668626.jpgpost-34986-0-40863700-1538668641.jpg

For this patch here, the 1st type really, 30 September 1943-25 February 1944, it's superseded on that date by the more familiar one, the type with the Army Service Forces insignia incorporated into it, and worn approximately till late February-mid March 1946.

attachicon.gif eto 1.jpgattachicon.gif eto.jpg

Thanks for that info! That is a bit confusing though because my grandfather was in France with the patch a month after it's use would have ended? He was in the ETO from April - December '46.

Sorry for the photo quality, the discharge paper is very small. I am working on getting better pictures.

post-179495-0-96010400-1538674586_thumb.jpg

Andrew

Not unusual for your GF to wear a patch a month after its wear was "officially discontinued". In this case, it was discontinuted as a separate command, but there were numerous reasons for its continued wear.

Here is a picture of him before he was sent overseas:

post-179495-0-45344700-1538758840_thumb.jpeg

What is the timeline for the patch on his shoulder here? Isn't it just a standard engineer patch?

There is some confusing dates with what patches were worn when, vs the dates my grandfather was wearing them. I'll have to start a new topic for help in researching my grandfather and his unit(s), but his papers say he wasn't a Tec 5 until he was overseas and there he is wearing that too before being deployed.

Thanks to all the input from the above gentleman I am slowly learning!

Andrew

He is wearing the Army Service Forces patch.

The design was appr Jul 30 1941, redesignated another command, then redesignated ASF in 1943. ASF was a logistical command (supplies)..