Help With Ordinance Shell Casing

tfhiii

Hello everyone,

Not sure this is in the right category, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I recently picked up a 90 mm M19 shell casing and am hoping someone can provide me with some information. Is it possible to determine if this shell was tank ordinance or AA based on the 1945 date? I have read where late-war shells of this caliber stand a good chance for being for tanks whereas early ones for antiaircraft. Also, I am curious about the finish .....not sure if its been repainted (paint wash) to look like brass by a post-war owner or period painted? The slot cut into the base seems unusual. Has anyone seen this before. My first thought is that it was done during deactivation, possibly at an arsenal. Does that see plausible? I did notice on the bottom an "FA". does that stand for the Frankford Arsenal in Philadelphia? Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tom

post-162853-0-64681800-1538479834.jpg

post-162853-0-23390400-1538479848.jpg

post-162853-0-77412100-1538479868.jpg

post-162853-0-84198900-1538479882_thumb.jpg

My observations. Is it brass? use a magnet to see if it is steel. Steel cases were developed late war, but it looks like brass. If brass, you can strip off the paint with stripper and then use a strong Citric acid and ScothBrite pads to safely remove all the discolored " patina" under the paint. From there, you will have a satin finish, to polish bright, vinegar and steel wool and a lot of elbow grease. All the cases were the same dimensions. No way to tell precisely what gun it was loaded for as the ink markings are gone. When the cases were made, they then ink marked on the head case as to what gun model ( AA or Gun " tank") it was for after it was loaded with powder and projectile. Ink marked cases bring premiums. I have a few 90mm cases, and " demilling" during WW2 period was rarely done...thousands of cases and projectiles were handed out to employees, war bond drives, etc....primers removed at most. I suspect the saw cut was done by a previous owner.( a shame). A common casing, put some work into reforming the neck opening, removing paint and polish. A few dealers on GB occasionally sell projectiles-solid shot, ballistic capped, HEP or HE. A complete, correct, ink marked HE should get about $350 to $400, more if pristine and factory crimped....they are out there, Joliet Arsenal used to give employees factory assembled complete inert HE ones that failed dimensional checks.

A few 90mm. Left, 1950's AP-T, TP-T., laquered steel cases. Right case, Joliet Arsenal factory assembled 1943 HE, 1944 AP shot, brass cases.

post-180924-0-09500100-1538499179_thumb.jpeg

Also, a hard to find 90G HEP, 1952, ( left of the monster 120mm case)....find a projo to fill the case, then you will be hooked and need to start building your collection....I would fill your case ( due to its condition) with a cheaper shot round that run about $100-150 depending on date....a 50's dated would be suitable as many were loaded into WW2 dated cases due to the surpluses made in the war.

post-180924-0-50967900-1538499489_thumb.jpeg

Great information. I really appreciate it. Also, thanks for the neat photographs. I'm envious of your collection.

Tom

Tom,

Thank you. You can start your own collection by keeping your eyes open locally. I went to the local metal recycling yard and spotted a nice 100 lb 1960's practice bomb. Ordnance is the fastest growing in all sectors of militaria collecting...and all items are quickly appreciating...and disappearing. Jeeps, firearms, flags, patches, bayonets, field gear, uniforms all common, go for the uncommon-buy Ordnance items when you see them. Good Luck hunting.