Indian Wars Model 1881 Infantry Helmet

warpath

Indian Wars Model 1881 Infantry Helmet with 6th Infantry Eagle Plate. This is from an old collection that had been stored since the 1970s and I have no additional details. I believe it is period correct, but please let me know if anything is not correct. Thanks for looking. Ed

post-3653-0-39979900-1538313558_thumb.jpg

Indian Wars Model 1881 Infantry Helmet with 6th Infantry Eagle Plate. This is from an old collection that had been stored since the 1970s and I have no additional details. I believe it is period correct, but please let me know if anything is not correct. Thanks for looking. Ed

post-3653-0-16448100-1538313842_thumb.jpg

post-3653-0-74677200-1538313935_thumb.jpg

Appears to be an original 1881 issue enlisted man's helmet that has had officer components added (2 piece officer plate, officer plume, chain, bullion cords). Buttons appear to be enlisted type (no hook for the chain chinstrap to affix to)

This helmet may be an old Bannerman artifact. Many of those were put together for retail sales or assembled by customers for many years.

• 3 months later...

Would you mind sharing where it came from, an interior shot, and a shot from the top of the helmet? To be honest, I think this is one of the plumes I fabricated when I was learning how they were made. Anything I had made has some tell-tale signs I did it in case people try to pass them off as original, and I ran into an issue with someone selling a helmet I had restored saying it was from an old collection -- just curious on my end. Either way, it's beautiful.