A "Catch-22" Grouping

GIKyle

The B-25 scenes in "Catch 22" just can't be beat. It was beyond a remarkable feat to assemble 16 flying B-25s in 1970 and make them really look like it was Corsica 1944, down in Mexico. The TV series is going to have to work hard to make an impression on me--------but I can't wait to watch! Again, Kyle great stuff. Hope there's more Best.......Bob

What a cool group, Catch 22 is one of my favorite books ever but for some reason I never knew they made it into a movie. You learn something new everyday!

• 4 months later...

Over the course of 22 years service, I gave away (at last count) eight copies of this book to young soldiers.

"The enemy is anyone who can get you killed, no matter what uniform they're wearing" - Captain Yossarian.

Haha. The Air Medal either has the brooch removed or is a slot brooch; tough to tell with the amount of glue behind it.

Kyle

I guess you can't tell if either medal is named with all the glue and that it appears you would destroy the certificate to remove them. But given that he survived the war, is it probable his name is engraved under the glue on either or both medals?

I think it's probable they are not officially engraved, but they could be unofficially engraved. As you noted, the likelihood of ruining the certificates is too high to see if they are engraved- the amount of glue makes it pretty likely that they are his.

Kyle

I think it's probable they are not officially engraved, but they could be unofficially engraved. As you noted, the likelihood of ruining the certificates is too high to see if they are engraved- the amount of glue makes it pretty likely that they are his.

Kyle

I have no doubt they are his, based on your provenance and their appearance. I think you're doing the right thing to leave things just as they are. You made a real find.

• 3 months later...

That clip of the original Catch 22 reminds me I need to watch the movie again. It's been years. I did see it when it first came out at a drive in theater.

Steve

Bellumbill

I was a Lit. major in college with a History minor - Today still a WWII and Literature nut - so THIS combines both of my interests in a great way! Have you considered displaying the medal with a copy of the novel?

Great pick up!

Thanks for posting!

Very best

Bill K.

phantomfixer

signed up for hulu...just for Catch 22 first month free..will watch it tonight..loved the book and the movie

I was a Lit. major in college with a History minor - Today still a WWII and Literature nut - so THIS combines both of my interests in a great way! Have you considered displaying the medal with a copy of the novel?

Great pick up!

Thanks for posting!

Very best

Bill K.

Bill-

A fantastic idea! There is currently a blank spot on the wall between the two frames as I was told the family was looking for some other items. The book may look perfect there in the interim.

Kyle

• 3 weeks later...