Photo of High Gloss Painted M1917 Helmet Being Worn 1939

patches

Didn't know where to post this accidental photo find, was going to post it in that accidental photo find topic I started in the Photographs forum, but said let me post it here instead.

Dark Olive Gloss paint job, quite striking. Believe it's a M1917 as we're seeing a leather chin strap. unit and location unknown, just year given as 1939.

post-34986-0-45875900-1538281656_thumb.jpeg

Aside from the helmet, it looks like that uniform was purchased about 10 minutes before the shot was taken.

It's a beauty, nice Photo Op for Life, peacetime, gotta look good, though probably in the early fall of 1939 after the very beginnings of mobilization after the start of the war in Europe, 5th and 6th Divisions reactivated mid October in example.

When was the dark green gloss paint done? I picked up a M1917A1 over the summer that was painted a dark green that was glossy and originally thought it was something a kid had done.

milsurp_scout_14

I have an M1917 (not sure if A1 or not, completely stripped shell) that is painted in a similar glossy green, with 2nd Lt markings on it. No texturing whatsoever.