1st Marine Division Aussie Made Bloodied 1st

nchistory

William L Adair enlisted on November 5th, 1942. His service number is 459137. He served in the First Special Weapons Battalion, First Marine Division from July 1943 to July 1944 when he was transferred to the Hq, Service and Weapons company 7th Marines. He was wounded on Peleliu on Sept 24th, 1944. He returned to combat and was still in the same unit in October 1944. He jumped from PFC to Sergeant most likely due to the high casualties on Peleliu, he served on Okinawa in the same unit.

I beleive this to be his grave, I am not sure when or where he got the bronze star. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/101536880/william-lee-adair

William L Adair enlisted on November 5th, 1942. His service number is 459137. He served in the First Special Weapons Battalion, First Marine Division from July 1943 to July 1944 when he was transferred to the Hq, Service and Weapons company 7th Marines. He was wounded on Peleliu on Sept 24th, 1944. He returned to combat and was still in the same unit in October 1944. He jumped from PFC to Sergeant most likely due to the high casualties on Peleliu, he served on Okinawa in the same unit.

I beleive this to be his grave, I am not sure when or where he got the bronze star. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/101536880/william-lee-adair

Thank you so kindly

Nice patch. Now I have another one to find. I thought I had all of them.

Thank you. Yes this patch might be a tough one to find, most likely 1 of a kind. Ahhhh, maybe 1 of 2?

Here is what your patch would have looked like

before the red was added. Original and period.

Beautiful patch Dennis, thanks for sharing. What is the material? A woven silk?

warcollect1942

Yes Aussie silk. Here are three Chinese silk. Two these have been washed.

Silk has backing because they are fragile.

post-28946-0-52459200-1538850295_thumb.jpg

post-28946-0-43902600-1538850308_thumb.jpg

Yes Aussie silk. Here are three Chinese silk. Two these have been washed.

Silk has backing because they are fragile.

Again, beautiful patches Dennis thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know the size and color of buttons on these Australian made jackets??

This seems to have a hodgepodge of replacements. This is exposed buttons seem plastic brownish/tan, while unexposed closure button seem metal of two types.

post-153086-0-78667100-1539643075.jpg