Named OIF CVC display

Hello, I am posting this under displays because, while I don't currently have a mannequin to properly display it, I intend to get one and update this post once I am out of college. I recently acquired this collection of uniform and equipment from the wife of a corporal who was deployed to Iraq in 2003 with the 2nd Marine Division 2nd Amphibious Assault Battalion attached to the 3rd Division 5th Marines Infantry (This unit was not in Iraq to my knowledge so maybe she remembered that wrong). Unfortunately none of the gear actually has his name or a unit patch on it however, it all appears used to be genuinely used so I believe her story despite not being able to verify it beyond that the individual was a marine from 2000-2004. OIF is not my area of expertise and was hoping that someone with more knowledge could give me an opinion on any issues with the items and what might need to be added to the display to make it accurate for a marine CVC around 2003 and how to preserve the history behind it. All opinions are welcome and appreciated thank you!

post-193671-0-13542800-1538170959.png

post-193671-0-52565600-1538170969.png

donation2019.gif

Nice grouping you picked up there. Are there any identifiers inside the uniforms - last 4 ssn, a laundry tag, name (partial), etc. Marines on deployment usually mark uniforms somehow, someway just so they don't get mixed in with somebody else's gear.

In the unit identifier she gave you it was probably 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division. She more than likely got the Division number wrong. Units in the Marine Corps are always being cross attached.

Semper Fi

Jeff

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Thank you. Unfortunatly the pants are the only ones with any marking in them and I am not sure what they might be. The soldiers initials are S. Z. however so I do not believe this could be a laundry number because they are normally initials and then 4 digits I've been told. I do know his name, however I am hesitant to post it because I have no indication he is deceased and she wouldn't tell me his name herself (I figured it out from the name the package was shipped from however which wasn't that hard.)

I think you may be correct, I also had the idea that maybe she ment the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines which is in the 1st Marines Division and got the unit levels messed up but the numbers right. I tried comparing the 3/5 Wikipedia page to the 2/2 AA Wikipedia page and I think I remember that there seemed to be some areas mentioned in both histories suggesting that maybe part of the 2/2 AA had been assigned to them. Then again it may be a coincidence.

post-193671-0-52619800-1538176052.png

donation2019.gif

Looks like that is some type of manufacturer mark. If she didn't want to share the name you are being respectful in not publishing it here. A lot of modern collectors don't publish names of the groupings they acquire. I usually feel the veteran out and always err on the side of caution in not publishing. If you have the address info maybe take a picture if not keep the actual label for provenance.

Semper Fi

Jeff

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Nice start to a good display. What else are you seeking to do with the set. I seen you wanted to do a CVC ,that could be a number of things.

Shoot me a pm if you need some help. I was there at that time ...again .....and again ...lol

All the best

Nice start to a good display. What else are you seeking to do with the set. I seen you wanted to do a CVC ,that could be a number of things.

Shoot me a pm if you need some help. I was there at that time ...again .....and again ...lol

All the best

Thank you, I believe that to preserve the history of the group I would like to do a 2003 era Armored Amphibious Vehicle driver display since that is what I believe the original owner of the gear would have been with the 2nd AA Battalion. Beyond that I really do not know what the options are, but I do know that I would like to eventually find boots, a holster (if he was likely to have one), and any other gear he would have likely been issued to complete the set.

donation2019.gif