1943 Colt slide question

Rhscott

I have a matching 1943 (sn8783xx) Colt 1911A1 that the slide seems to have the smaller 1911 sights. The sights are in fact the same size front and rear as my 1918 Colt 1911.

Wasn't one of the changes to the A1 a slight increase in width and height of the sights? Perhaps a unused slide Colt had and by 1943 they finally used it to made a pistol? The slide is properly numbered under the firing pin plate.

Thoughts?

I don't have the info in front of me as to when they made the change, but 8783xx is still pretty early in the Colt run for WW2 Pistols....the change may have come after this serial number. I had a November 1941 Colt A1 (7475xx) that had the early sights....are you sure your pistol isn't 1942 production..?

Hello - The height of the front sight remained unchanged as a result of the A1 improvements. Both were 0.5597” above bore axis. You are correct that width changed, to make it more durable in field conditions. To simplify the information, I’ll skip the interim specifications of the “transitional” / “improved” examples, and just cite 1911 versus 1911A1 measurements.

Model 1911 front sights were tapered, from .058” at the base, to ~ .038” at the top.

The A1 models (read, WWII), had a uniform thickness of .080”.

If you have them next to each other, you can likely see the difference. If not, you could use a dial caliper for exact measurement.

Specific to your 1943 Colt slide, it should have a “Type B” front sight, meaning smooth rounded - almost semi-circle - when viewed from the side. About 15,000 units later, Colt transitioned to a “Type C” front sight, which has a serrated ‘ramp’ cut into the aiming side, which changed the profile considerably.

The reason your two sights look the same, is because their shape is identical, and only a minor width difference exists.

The A1 changes - including wider front sight - came into production almost 20 years earlier (1924).

His slide is definitely a 1943.

I don't have the info in front of me as to when they made the change, but 8783xx is still pretty early in the Colt run for WW2 Pistols....the change may have come after this serial number. I had a November 1941 Colt A1 (7475xx) that had the early sights....are you sure your pistol isn't 1942 production..?

878,3xx puts Mfg in 1943 but I suppose the parts could have been made in late 1942. The slide and frame share the same number so they have been together since production.

Thank you much and I will measure the blade. The front and rear just look identical to the 1918 Mfg 1911 I have as both are narrow half round front sights and small U shaped rear notches. The Remington Rand I just sold had a square cut notch rear and wider front.

C.W. Clawsonj in his little 'Service Pistols' book states Colt continued to use the old small notch rear sights until used up in 1943.

Far from it sadly.

This finish is relatively recent, and is a zinc phosphate finish, which is what causes the light gray color.

This should be done in a manganese phosphate, which yields a darker color; which when immediately subjected to cosmoline, resulted in the greenish finish. Ive never seen a modern refinisher get the USGI 1911 Parkerization right. Some are closer than others, but none 100%. Even if they do get the color close, there were certain stamps and markings that were applied after finish. So, when viewed under magnification, will have bare or burnished metal on the vertical structures of the markings.

Is that the original finish?

She is actually a Bubba save. When I got her she was coated in duracoat and it turns out was also nickeled under that. Friend of mine removed both modern finishes and parkerized in zinc. Had another barrel in it but came with the original Colt barrel. Replaced the springs and pins and I now have a factory matching but refinished Colt for just at $800 total invested.

• 3 weeks later...

All Colts had wide spur hammers, and that one is not early.

It is correct.

The only appreciable hammer difference between the pre and post A1 Colts, was the length.

Is the early wide hammer correct for a 43 Colt?

All Colts had wide spur hammers, and that one is not early.

It is correct.

The only appreciable hammer difference between the pre and post A1 Colts, was the length.

Good to know! I stand corrected!! Thank you!