Can anyone help me with the uniforms - 1917 Army Band

The Photo Alchemist

The Photo Alchemist

This photo was taken in 1917 in Milwaukee. It's labelled US army staff. I have been asked to colourize it and my first instinct was to go with the honey colour typical of the private s uniform s (please forgive me if I don't use the right wording). The thing is the bow ties got me confused, and I was wondering if anyone has come across this uniform and can help me with the colours .

Thank you in advance!

world war I nerd

The color of the coats and breeches would be similar to the colors in these photos … note that the exact shades vary from more green to more brown:

post-5143-0-26131600-1538086713.jpg

post-5143-0-12608600-1538086718_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I'm guessing that the slings to their saxophones would also be made from a russet leather similar to the color of the shoes or cap brim, with dull bronze metal fittings similar to the buttons

Could you please post a photo of the colorized photo here when you've finished it? I'm sure that the forum members would like to see your work … Good luck.

Regarding the uniforms depicted in your photo, while they are similar to U.S. Army uniforms of the WW I era, the Army never adopted, nor authorized an open collared service coat or a bow tie. However, I have seen period photos of soldiers wearing non-regulation black bow ties.

My guess is that the uniform worn in the photo might be the uniform of some sort of military academy or school, or perhaps even a State Guard uniform. Nevertheless, the colors would be more or less the same as the Army issued articles of clothing shown above.

The Photo Alchemist

Oh my goodness! What wonderful responses!! Thank you all soo much! I shall post the colourized photo later today!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Interesting bow tie mystery.

World War I Nerd is a treasured fount of knowledge around here. His posts and replies, both current and in the archive,s have helped me out many times.

Mikie

The Photo Alchemist

Dear World War I nerd

Please see below the completed colourized photo

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your invaluable help!

Best regards

Claudia

42882982_343391902899181_882724952242703

world war I nerd

Wow Claudia - aa old photo comes to life! What a difference between the original black & white and your colorized version. It's like night & day.The result is amazing … excellent work. Thank you for posting the result.

The Photo Alchemist

You guys are too kind! Thank you again. This is my full time job and hobby, so I will be coming back for more help soon I'm sure :-)

The Photo Alchemist

You guys are too kind! Thank you again. This is my full time job and hobby, so I will be coming back for more help soon I'm sure :-)

The Photo Alchemist

Wow Claudia - aa old photo comes to life! What a difference between the original black & white and your colorized version. It's like night & day.The result is amazing excellent work. Thank you for posting the result.

I'm trying to discover the right colour for the dress uniform of a major of the marine corps in 1918. Can you help? Please?

Salvage Sailor

I'm trying to discover the right colour for the dress uniform of a major of the marine corps in 1918. Can you help? Please?

Aloha Claudia,

I'd suggest starting a new topic for that question to attract the WWI USMC collectors on our forum. There are quite a few Devil Dogs who will have photographs of period USMC uniforms in their collections.

The Photo Alchemist

Aloha Claudia,

I'd suggest starting a new topic for that question to attract the WWI USMC collectors on our forum. There are quite a few Devil Dogs who will have photographs of period USMC uniforms in their collections.

Thank you ?

I will do that