Show your Vietnam helmets

trenchfoot

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The reason why this helmet is becoming my favorite is it is true about a bullet and helmet liner. My grandfather was with the 101st 327th glider Co. B in WW2 and this same thing happened to him, the bullet went in the front and rode around the helmet between the helmet and liner and stopped on the opposite side. I asked him what he did with the helmet and he said he found another helmet and threw the damaged one down.

Marty

Bullets traveling like that is surprisingly common, there are quite a lot of stories of it happening, both with M1s and ACHs.

The reason why this helmet is becoming my favorite is it is true about a bullet and helmet liner. My grandfather was with the 101st 327th glider Co. B in WW2 and this same thing happened to him, the bullet went in the front and rode around the helmet between the helmet and liner and stopped on the opposite side. I asked him what he did with the helmet and he said he found another helmet and threw the damaged one down.

Marty

Wow ?

Marty thats amazing, firstly thank your grandfather for his service, he was a lucky man.

I can imagine the Soldier/Marine getting hit then taking off his helmet and just holding it with both hands staring into it counting his Lucky stars and probably saying a few prayers.

Speaks volumes - thanks for sharing the story on your grandfather and thanks for the kind comments my friend on the helmet.

- Dean

Bullets traveling like that is surprisingly common, there are quite a lot of stories of it happening, both with M1s and ACHs.

Amazing

You would have to be so lucky !

- Dean

Mortar shrapnel damage.

The owner survived and got to bring this home, no cover unfortunately.

C company 2nd battalion 39th infantry (9th division)

Quote: " I was wearing that helmet on/or about March 1st 1968 in Dong Tam, South Vietnam. We were counter firing our 81mm mortars from Fire Support Base Fels. It was one of the worst mortar attacks when a mortar round hit just outside our pit which blew my helmet off giving me a concussion and killing my gunner. We received a bronze star with a V for valour for our actions hitting our targets".

marc

post-7252-0-14555200-1539682618_thumb.jpg

That a recent acquisition Dean?

Looks proper!

Just another I pulled from the collection,

The writing has disappeared In places due to rain and sun etc.

Its a WW2 3rd pattern cover, front seam and a WW2 liner.

Its proper for sure

- Dean

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Trenchfoot, she sure is a nice piece and named as well!

I will share some pictures of the rest of my collection throughout this week.

Rich

Named on the inside liner to a Charles S Winston along with his service number, after a little bit of searching I found he served as a 1st Lieutenant in Vietnam.