USMC WW1 Distinguished Service Cross and Navy Cross Group

kanemono

This group does not belong to me but it is beautiful. Private Hirst should be remembered so I thought I would share his medals with the forum. I found the photograph of Private Hirst's group in a Riker case under another World War One group I bought from George Pradarits several years ago. Here is the citation:

Samuel C. Hirst, Private, Company H, 5th Regiment, United States Marine Corps. For extraordinary heroism in action near Blanc Mont Ridge, France, October 5, 1918. Together with another soldier, Pvt. Hirst successfully completed the capture of a machine gun, destroying it and killing two of the crew. Fighting his way back to his own lines, he furnished valuable information concerning enemy machine-gun emplacements. Residence at enlistment: Pureellville, Virginia.

post-9487-0-51059100-1537991978_thumb.jpg

Samuel Carroll Hirst PLACE OF BIRTH: Purcellville, Virginia HOME OF RECORD: Purcellville, Virginia AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION:

Distinguished Service Cross AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I Service: Marine Corps Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces GENERAL ORDERS:

War Department, General Orders No. 46 (1919)

CITATION: The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Private Samuel Carroll Hirst (MCSN: 103819), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving with the Fifty-Fifth Company, Fifth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F., in action near Blanc Mont Ridge, France, 5 October 1918. Together with another soldier, Private Hirst successfully completed the capture of a machine gun, destroying it, and killing two of the crew. Fighting his way back to his own lines, he furnished valuable information concerning enemy machine-gun emplacements.

Navy Cross AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I Service: Marine Corps Rank: Private Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces GENERAL ORDERS: CITATION:The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Private Samuel Carroll Hirst (MCSN: 103819), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving with the 55th Company, 5th Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, A.E.F. in action near Blanc Mont Ridge, France, 5 October 1918. Together with another soldier, Private Hirst successfully completed the capture of a machine gun, destroying it, and killing two of the crew. Fighting his way back to his own lines, he furnished valuable information concerning enemy machine-gun emplacements.

Silver Star Citation AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I Service: Marine Corps Rank: Private Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces GENERAL ORDERS:

Citation Orders, 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

CITATION: By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D. 1918), Private Samuel Carroll Hirst (MCSN: 103819), United States Marine Corps, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND DIVISION, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Private Hirst distinguished himself while serving with the 55th Company, Fifth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces at Blanc Mont, France, 1 to 10 October 1918.

Silver Star Citation AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
DURING World War I Service: Marine Corps Rank: Private Division: 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces GENERAL ORDERS:

Citation Orders, 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

CITATION: By direction of the President, under the provisions of the act of Congress approved July 9, 1918 (Bul. No. 43, W.D. 1918), Private Samuel Carroll Hirst (MCSN: 103819), United States Marine Corps, is cited by the Commanding General, SECOND DIVISION, American Expeditionary Forces, for gallantry in action and a silver star may be placed upon the ribbon of the Victory Medals awarded him. Private Hirst distinguished himself while serving with the 55th Company, Fifth Regiment (Marines), 2d Division, American Expeditionary Forces at Blanc Mont, France, 1 to 10 October 1918.

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/8755

Are there other examples of a Marine receiving both the Navy Cross and DSC for the same action in WW1?

Yes, this was relatively common with WWI Marines.The Navy Cross wasnt instituted until 1920 (I believe if my memory serves) and I think this was a case where the Navy/Marines didnt want their heroes from WWI to be recognized with only an army award (the DSC). This is an interesting grouping and rare one to be sure. I wonder why this Marine when applying for his PH in 1932, didnt at the same time apply for the Silver Star medal? I also possess a WWI Marine DSC/NC grouping to a LT. Awarded on October 4, 1918 at Mont Blanc. Just about a week away from 100 years ago.

Thanks for sharing. Kevin

Excellent group! The DSC should be numbered 6989, and the Croix de Guerre was awarded for Blanc Mont and was published in War Department General Orders No. 51 dated April 14, 1919. Hirst is buried in Hillsboro Cemetery (Hillsboro, VA). Thanx for sharing!

For the sake of everyone viewing this thread can we name what all the medals are in the collection please? Most everyone recognize the American medals but how about the foreign ones.

We would appreciate it.

4starchris

The three medals on the lower left are: L to R the Verdun medal, Chateau Thierry (Cote 204) medal, and the St. Mihiel medal. The medal on the far right at on the top row of medals is the French Médaille commémorative de la guerre 1914-1918. The medal at the bottom right is of course the 2nd division medal.