Plastic canteen black NBC cap - I need a canteen guru.

pawtwo

Hello,

Can anyone give me an idea when black plastic cap for plastic 1QT canteen was introduced?

I know that very first M1 NBC caps were made of OD green plastic, then at some point they changed color to black, to made them easier to distinguish.

I've never found when they made first caps in black but these were made black as late as 1986 and still used during desert storm, in 90s and sometimes even later.

post-162935-0-15002400-1537901794.jpg

I think you are correct on time but perhaps out of sequence on the color. The first caps were black and issued separately if I remember corectly. Later caps were green and the canteens were issued with the NBC cap on.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Interesting, didn't know about those 60s green ones. But as far as I can tell the black ones were superceded by green ones. So I guess the order goes green black green.

IIRC the later green ones have a thicker strap holding the nbc cap on to the cap than the black ones. I will confirm when I get home. What do the early green ones look like?

• 2 weeks later...

I had few new black caps in original plastic bags with 1986 contracts (DLA100-86-C-4238), while MIL-C-51278D dated 30 June 1987 says that M1 cap should be OD 34087.

Cap still had one piece construction where main part and top closure was made as one mold. Specification says that strap holding closure to the cap should withstand 25 000 openings what I think it's crazy as you can damage it really fast.

Previous version of specification was MIL-C-51278C from 28 March 1983 but not all full revisions of specifications changes overall design of an item.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Thank you. Do you also happen to know when they switched from the one piece to the two piece design?

I thought that occurred along with the change to green. At least I have not seen any green ones in the earlier style or black ones in that style.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Very cool, never seen that before! Learn something new everyday! I wonder if this is before or after the black ones.

Pawtwo mentioned it above, when the color was changed in 1987 to OD green it still retained the one piece design.

So does anybody know when it was updated to the two piece design? I'd guess sometime in the 90's.