opinions on a carbine .30

Okie96

I read some where that of the almost six million M1 carbines made, close to three million were given or sold to other countries over the years. Another 300,000 were sold to NRA members thru the DCM in the 1960s. As mentioned before none were in the "Lend Lease" program. The OPs gun looks to me to be a much used, upgraded, and re-built example of a commercially imported carbine. Only Century Arms would know from where it was imported.

Wouldn't it be almost 7 million? Mine is 6,785,xxx and it was only made in Jan 45

Serial numbers went over 7 million, but some number blocks were omitted.....Also seems to me, some serial numbers overlapped...This meant numerous manufacturers could have used the same serial number, Bodes

No clue as to your Lend Lease question but others seem to have answered that . I do like carbines though. The stock on yours sure shows some use but, regardless they're just so much fun to shoot.

The numbers stamped on the stock are indicative of post war use by Israel. The only part that looks original to that receiver is the rear sight, maybe the stock. Look inside the sling well, left side of the stock for letter stampings, an "I" with another letter would indicate an Inland ww2 stock. Other letters stamped on the left side of the wood could show where the stock at least, went through a rebuild or refitting. The hand guard is a post war replacement unit from Springfield Armory [sA] as well as is the slide [HSA marked].

Enjoy the carbine!

Chuck

PS. At this point, the blue paint is a mystery.

Hi all. Thanks again for the responses. Some info I probably would not have learned for a long time. Like I said, the biggest question was the blue paint but I can't find any British proofs. I took another look last night at War Baby 2 and Ruth says about 25,000 carbines were lend-leased to England around 44 I think. I don't have the book with me at the moment. We were thinking that perhaps it was more original but oh well. We both like to shoot our guns so it's just as well it's not a high end piece I guess. USARV72, my grandpa has had this carbine for it think about 10 or 15 years. Maybe a bit more. I'll have to ask. He and my uncle saw an ad for them for sale at some store, I think having been recently imported. They got up real early expecting there to be a crowd when the store opened up to get at these only to find one old man who wandered over to the knife section when they opened. My grandpa was drawn to this one because it is in very good mechanical condition, we think, despite the appearance of the stock. Thanks for the Israel info lambo. My grandpa will find that very interesting. I'll take a look the next time I'm over at the sling well, around the oiler right?

Looks like a mixmaster of parts.....Barrel is '42 dated and manufactured by Winchester, the receiver serial number range is 1944 manufactured by Inland...Also appears triggerguard was made by Winchester....Bolt is early flat type, when it should be round for a late WW2....Rifle either went through factory refurb or assembled from parts....Refurbish would explain postwar barrel band with bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight....Bodes

Just for reference - the barrel band with bayonet lug is not "postwar" - I have a carbine that was built in 1944 with both the bayonet lug band and the adjustable rear sight. It was issued for the Pacific theater, Navy Construction Battalion. Winchester manufacture. 30 round "banana clip."

It is believed most type 3 barrel bands were added during postwar rebuilds....The exception being later 1945 built Winchesters and Inlands....It's also contended that some were placed on a number of carbines before the invasion of Okinawa....I have a Quality Hardware with all the early features including "I" cut, high wood buttstock with a type 3 band.....The guy was in Okinawa.....No type 3's are thought to have been used in Europe, while adjustable rear sights seeing only limited use...Again the vast majority being placed on late war Winchesters/Inlands and postwar rebuilds....Bodes

BTW, What's the serial number on your Winchester?...I have one in the 7.2 million serial range and has the factory added Type 3 band and adjustable sight....I believe built August 1945....