Marking Outfit for Stamping Leather

Brian Keith

I picked this up at a show recently. When I first saw the box, I thought it was for the Dog Tag stamping kit. When I opened it, I discovered it wasnt! I dont recall ever seeing one of these before. We have a WW I era saddle on display and the unit ID stamping is the same style and font as this kit.

It is hard to read, but it does say on the lid: MARKING OUTFIT FOR STAMPING LEATHER. Inside it is stamped in ink: Inspected by George S. Renode. It is probably WW I era.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

BKW

post-1549-0-15474300-1537844678_thumb.jpg

post-1549-0-89207800-1537844699_thumb.jpg

Hello Brian.

I picked up one of these about 10 years ago at a local flea market. I bet I paid about $10?

I liked the box and of course the die inside and figured it was WW1 era as it appears to be similar in construction to the WW1 dogtag kits.

I never was able to learn anything else about the kit and your post is the first I've seen anyone comment about it.

No need to show a picture of mine as it appears almost identical to yours.

Kim

Great find! For some reason these seem a little harder to find that the dog tag stamping kits, but generally garner much less attention. They are great pieces though. Believe it or not, stamping sets were still being produced into WWII (but usually with a few differences) so it's always even better to see one with a legible WWI era inspection stamp.

Thanks for the comments guys! Steve: Likely these would last for nearly a lifetime of leather stamping, very well made! Hope you find a set! (No. mine's not for sale).

Kim,

I paid 4 and 1/2 times what you did and I thought it was a very fair price. I was very happy to find it. I didn't "need" it of course, just wanted it!

BKW