Bring back FN Browning 1922 pistol

WWIIBuff1945

I added another bring back with capture papers to my collection. Its a war time made FN Browning 1922. I have the soldiers Service number and plan to research him. Can anyone identify the unit of the officer who signed the capture paper? Enjoy!

post-158759-0-76468100-1537834656_thumb.jpg

post-158759-0-11744000-1537834738_thumb.jpg

post-158759-0-76879600-1537834824_thumb.jpg

post-158759-0-72477400-1537834890_thumb.jpg

Charles Frederick Senecal Jr., 83, former resident of Ezra Street, North Haven, husband of the late Eleanor Walker, died April 23, 2009, at Franklin Hills Nursing Home in Spokane, Wash.

Born Sept. 7, 1925, in West Haven, he was a son of the late Charles Senecal Sr. and Bertha Betts. He was a veteran of World War II, serving in France and Belgium in C Company with the 280th Army Engineer Combat Battalion. He worked at Winchester Repeating Arms for 15 years then for Carolus Walker Plumbing and Heating in Guilford. From 1977 to 1992 Charles and Eleanor owned and operated Senecal's Appliance in North Haven. Charles served as president of both Pool Acres Civic Association and North Haven Civic Council in the 1950s.

He is survived by a daughter Marilyn Cavanaugh, of Deer Park, Wash., a son, David Senecal, of Northford; four grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren, all in the Pacific Northwest.

Published in The Record-Journal on May 8, 2009

Charles Senecal Jr. was a long time resident of North Haven, CT. He married Eleanor Ballard Walker of Guilford, CT. June 19th 1948. They spent over 55 years together.

Son of Bertha Ann Betts and Charles Senecal Sr; he graduated from the 8th grade at Hamden High School in Hamden, CT. June 19th 1940. In those days, that was all that was required learning.

He got a job at Winchester Repeating Arms in New Haven CT. where he worked in their Rolling Mill. His father, a brother, grandfather, and uncle were also employed there.

On Feb.8th 1944 he entered active service. He trained at Camp McCoy in Wisconsin and Fort Leonard Woods in Missouri for advanced training. He served in France and Belgium in C Company with the 280th Army Engineer Combat Battalion. He was trained in air compressor operation and had practical experience with pneumatic tools such as: rock drills, compression saws, tampers, clay diggers, nail drivers and jack hammers.

He was shipped out on the E.B. Alexander to Wales, then boarded a Troop Train to Glastonbury, England where he then shipped to Normandy, France. He had come full circle. His ancestors had immigrated from Normandy (Adrian Senecal and Jean LeComte 1670). Now Charles was to fight for the freedom of France.

He seldom did the work he was trained to do in Company C. He cleared mine fields, did combat, was trained on the bazooka and saw comrades fall. He was 19 years of age. His tour of duty took him to Wales, England, France, Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany. He participated in the Crossing of the Rhine.

After his Company crossed the Rhine, they were told to take a break. He walked up the bank a little ways and saw half of a soldier hanging from some barbed wire. His scanning the ground revealed a mine field. He went about clearing some 25 mines. A Superior from another unit asked him what he was doing. He replied, " I'm removing these mines, Sir". The Officer replied, " By all means... take your time."

He recalls this now as, the most stupid thing he had ever done.

Charles recalled his Company as being the Luckiest Company over there, as only 5 men lost their lives. He recounted a story of a man named Evans who was driving a Captain in a vehicle. They had been told to stay on the road but the Captain ordered Evans to go off it. KaBoom...they were dead!

Charles mustered out March 18, 1946. His name is on the National WWII Memorials Registry of the 280th Battalion erected in Washington D.C.

When he got back to the states, he used his G.I. Bill to attend the Progressive School of Photography in New Haven, CT. He graduated as a qualified portrait photographer.

Charles chose to continue working for Winchester Repeating Arms. It was during this time in 1947, that he was introduced to Eleanor Walker. Harry Hawley, a friend of his set him up on a blind date with a telephone operator from Guilford, CT. On their third date he proposed to her and they married June 19, 1948 at the First Congregational Church of Guilford, CT.

On Mar. 26, 1949, Marilyn Ann was born. By 1950, Ell and Charlie had purchased land in North Haven, CT. and had enough construction completed on their home to move in.

On Sept. 9, 1957, David Charles was born.

All through the 1950's, the couple was very active in the Pool Acres Civic Association. Charles held the position of President of this organization and retained that position when they merged and became the North Haven Civic Council. Many of the meetings were held in his home at 88 Ezra St. The Council's purpose was to help determine the zoning of North Haven, as well as organizing community events.

Charles worked for 15 years at Winchesters and then for Carolus Walker's Plumbing and Heating of Guilford.

He inherited the business in 1977. He and Eleanor owned and operated the newly named, "Senecal's Appliance" until 1992.

Due to their participation with the Civic Council, they retained a large group of friends for over 50 years.

He was blessed with 4 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren, all in the Pacific Northwest.

He passed at age 83 having a life full with good friends and loving family. He suffered from both Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

WOW Thanks Guys!! I really appreciate the help! I will add the info to the file I am compiling on him. I wonder how the gun ended up in Florida? I think the officer signing was with the 334th engineer special service regiment.

Charles Senecal Jr. was a long time resident of North Haven, CT. He married Eleanor Ballard Walker of Guilford, CT. June 19th 1948. They spent over 55 years together.

Son of Bertha Ann Betts and Charles Senecal Sr; he graduated from the 8th grade at Hamden High School in Hamden, CT. June 19th 1940. In those days, that was all that was required learning.

He got a job at Winchester Repeating Arms in New Haven CT. where he worked in their Rolling Mill. His father, a brother, grandfather, and uncle were also employed there.

On Feb.8th 1944 he entered active service. He trained at Camp McCoy in Wisconsin and Fort Leonard Woods in Missouri for advanced training. He served in France and Belgium in C Company with the 280th Army Engineer Combat Battalion. He was trained in air compressor operation and had practical experience with pneumatic tools such as: rock drills, compression saws, tampers, clay diggers, nail drivers and jack hammers.

He was shipped out on the E.B. Alexander to Wales, then boarded a Troop Train to Glastonbury, England where he then shipped to Normandy, France. He had come full circle. His ancestors had immigrated from Normandy (Adrian Senecal and Jean LeComte 1670). Now Charles was to fight for the freedom of France.

He seldom did the work he was trained to do in Company C. He cleared mine fields, did combat, was trained on the bazooka and saw comrades fall. He was 19 years of age. His tour of duty took him to Wales, England, France, Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany. He participated in the Crossing of the Rhine.

After his Company crossed the Rhine, they were told to take a break. He walked up the bank a little ways and saw half of a soldier hanging from some barbed wire. His scanning the ground revealed a mine field. He went about clearing some 25 mines. A Superior from another unit asked him what he was doing. He replied, " I'm removing these mines, Sir". The Officer replied, " By all means... take your time."

Charles recalled his Company as being the Luckiest Company over there, as only 5 men lost their lives. He recounted a story of a man named Evans who was driving a Captain in a vehicle. They had been told to stay on the road but the Captain ordered Evans to go off it. KaBoom...they were dead!

Charles mustered out March 18, 1946. His name is on the National WWII Memorials Registry of the 280th Battalion erected in Washington D.C.

When he got back to the states, he used his G.I. Bill to attend the Progressive School of Photography in New Haven, CT. He graduated as a qualified portrait photographer.

Charles chose to continue working for Winchester Repeating Arms. It was during this time in 1947, that he was introduced to Eleanor Walker. Harry Hawley, a friend of his set him up on a blind date with a telephone operator from Guilford, CT. On their third date he proposed to her and they married June 19, 1948 at the First Congregational Church of Guilford, CT.

On Mar. 26, 1949, Marilyn Ann was born. By 1950, Ell and Charlie had purchased land in North Haven, CT. and had enough construction completed on their home to move in.

All through the 1950's, the couple was very active in the Pool Acres Civic Association. Charles held the position of President of this organization and retained that position when they merged and became the North Haven Civic Council. Many of the meetings were held in his home at 88 Ezra St. The Council's purpose was to help determine the zoning of North Haven, as well as organizing community events.

Charles worked for 15 years at Winchesters and then for Carolus Walker's Plumbing and Heating of Guilford.

He inherited the business in 1977. He and Eleanor owned and operated the newly named, "Senecal's Appliance" until 1992.

Due to their participation with the Civic Council, they retained a large group of friends for over 50 years.

He was blessed with 4 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren, all in the Pacific Northwest.

He passed at age 83 having a life full with good friends and loving family. He suffered from both Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Thanks for the info. How did you find all of it?

You're welcome. I found one obit using Google, the other obit came from Find-A-Grave along with a picture of him, then I used some of these all FREE websites.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/309282-all-free-websites-to-research-named-or-numbered-items/

P.S. > Nice pistol you have there.

You're welcome. I found one obit using Google, the other obit came from Find-A-Grave along with a picture of him, then I used some of these all FREE websites.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/309282-all-free-websites-to-research-named-or-numbered-items/

P.S. > Nice pistol you have there.

Thanks!!! I was able to email the vets daughter and sent a link of this thread to her. Maybe you found some info she has never seen before.

The daughter emailed me and and said her brother insisted on their dad's gun and then sold it because he needed the money. She said she has 3 son's and wished her brother had offered it to her before he sold it. She didn't come out and say she wanted it but its obvious she wants it back. The gun is being shipped to me so I may decide to get it back to the family. I guess it deserves to be back in the family's possession. I'm going to think hard about it.

She sent me some cool pics of her father in the service and one I believe shows him holding the Browning in his right hand.

post-158759-0-74389600-1538099414_thumb.jpg