Vietnam Kamo brand Duck Hunter uniform, named

Concernedfuturedogface

Concernedfuturedogface

Recently purchased this uniform. I must say the US Army nametape and rank seem kind of off to me. I would appreciate the feedback on it!

ThanksPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I suspect what you have is a set that was used in an Opposing Forces or Aggressor role.

The name tape looks like it was made in the US, and the captain's rank looks to be standard PX issue.

Interestingly, there are no signs of any other insignia on it. But that could fit into the role playing.

Officers and troops could get pretty creative when they were allowed to come up with their own uniform.

Concernedfuturedogface

My thoughts also, especially during the time period the seller said his father was in Vietnam (1964), I wouldn't expect rank to be on a uniform at all.

Concernedfuturedogface

However, it was a neat camo find, and reasonably priced so I'm not too worried. Thanks for the feedback!

I suspect what you have is a set that was used in an Opposing Forces or Aggressor role.

The name tape looks like it was made in the US, and the captain's rank looks to be standard PX issue.

Interestingly, there are no signs of any other insignia on it. But that could fit into the role playing.

Officers and troops could get pretty creative when they were allowed to come up with their own uniform.

What do you mean by opposing forces or agressor role?....I have a set of these that came in an auction lot that included some WAC items...Mine is missing the neck tag, but came along with a tin of "Kamo" stick face paint......Figured it could have come from a Vietnam veteran.....Bodes

What do you mean by opposing forces or agressor role?....I have a set of these that came in an auction lot that included some WAC items...Mine is missing the neck tag, but came along with a tin of "Kamo" stick face paint......Figured it could have come from a Vietnam veteran.....Bodes

Stateside training exercises typically had an opposition force, ranging in size from a squad to full brigade.

Depending on the exercise the opposition team might dress in different uniforms in order to play the role. They'd wear anything they could pick up at the local surplus store. ERDL, Jungle Fatigues and yes, duck hunter camo. Not all "Kamo" brand clothing was worn in Vietnam.

GWB123, I appreciate not all Kamo brand clothing was used by the military or in Vietnam...However, the lot also consisted of a coffee can, Fidel Castro style cap....Also found it interesting it was in with WW2 WAC items, as if possibly to remember service to the country by a family....Thank you for the reply and information, Bodes

Concernedfuturedogface

UPDATE: Examined under stitching of the rank and US Army tape, little to no color difference. I suspect they were just thrown on there to add to the appeal.

vintageproductions

There is a false sense that a lot of this Duck Hunter / civilian camo was heavily used in Vietnam. It was not. There are some photos of it in use but for the most part it was way easier for the soldier to go to a tailor shop and buy local camo then it was to have it shipped from the states to Vietnam.

Lots of dealers try to pass all civilian duck hunter camo off as advisory period uniforms, but it is just not the case.

It is my understanding that the duck hunter clothing was indeed used by some early advisors in Vietnam, before large numbers of American combat troops arrived. I don't think that the subdued "US ARMY" tape and the subdued captain's bars on this piece would have been around at that time, though. In other words, I think that if this had really been used in Vietnam it would have had white captain's bars and a yellow-and-black "US ARMY" tape.

Concernedfuturedogface

Despite its use, it is still the RN 25334 pattern commercial duck hunter camouflage that was used, and with the price, still a win for me. I just don't feel as bad about taking the rank and tape off!

Thanks for the info!

Despite its use, it is still the RN 25334 pattern commercial duck hunter camouflage that was used, and with the price, still a win for me. I just don't feel as bad about taking the rank and tape off!

I agree, still a cool find!