Graphical Scheme for Marking Divisional Property (28th Div.)

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Attached is a chart detailing the baggage and property of the various organizations within the 28th Division were marked. I believe this document was posted a while back by Solcarlus.

Does anyone know where to find (or have) any similar information regarding how the organizations within the 1st Division marked their property and baggage either before or after they arrived in France during the Great War? I am particularly interested in what symbol was used by the 1st Engineer Regiment (1st Division) to mark its equipment.

It would also be nice to see other information in respect to how different organizations within the AEF marked their property and baggage, if anyone has that information at hand.

Thanks to all for looking and I hope, helping … World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-64805900-1537737540_thumb.jpg

Quite a few baggage markings wound up as division insignia. The 5th, 28th, 30th, 35th, 37th, 81st and 89th Divisions are examples where this was the case. I think Scott Kraska's article on 26th Division insignia may include some examples from that division.

The 28th Division chart comes from the 5-volume The Twenty-Eighth Division in the World War.

I have heard that the division initially used black keystones on their helmets from Rick Keller.

Hello,

The chart show can be found in the 2 and 5 volume copies of the 28th Division History produced shortly post-war. I've attached a still image from footage of the 111th and 112th infantry arriving in Calais where the markings can be seen on several of the A bag's being unloaded. Additionally attached are images of an Officer's musette in my collection with the tac markings still present. I've been researching the 28th Division marking system for a little while now and have not seen any other surviving examples, and this footage is one of the few examples ive seen of the marking system in use during the war.

Of note, the Keystone was officially adopted August 27th 1879 as the symbol for the "Pennsylvania Division" or PA National Guard, so there had been a decent base of keystone usage (and colored keystone markings) prior to WW1.

-Aaron

post-88120-0-33379900-1537793384_thumb.jpg

post-88120-0-06882900-1537793402_thumb.jpg

post-88120-0-14734400-1537793411_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Didn't even know that I had this photo, well until now that is.

Anyway, it shows a pile of 28th Division marked barracks bags in the process of being loaded onto railcars for the trip to an east coast Port of Embarkation.

post-5143-0-04465100-1538245543_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

And an enlarged single bag showing, what looks like the 28th Division baggage marking for the 111th Infantry Regiment ...

It sure would be nice if we could find some images of 1st Division (or other division) baggage markings.

post-5143-0-50331700-1538245755_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...