AEF Service Coat. 87th Div. GHQ

mccooper

Here is a double patch - 87th and GHQ. The uniform has two overseas stripes, unfortunately, no name; I have a named 87th with one overseas stripe.. Collar discs: two US. The 87th arrived overseas in September of 1918, and were sent home in January of 1919. However, the division was attached to the SOS while there. There are two possibilities: this doughboy was attached to GHQ and spent a year "over there," or this is creative assembly at work. Would appreciate your thoughts

mccooper

post-151387-0-37629600-1537646109.jpg

world war I nerd

Very interesting Brooke … Maybe the guy was in the 87th and transferred to GHQ to help close out AEF affairs in France or vice versa?

I thought I'd seen that before. based on these two photos from my files, it appears to have been once sold by Bay State Militaria. Maybe someone there can shed some light on its history?

post-5143-0-86156100-1537648685.jpg

post-5143-0-80447900-1537648686.jpg

Brian-

Your files never fail - that is the exact uniform! I hadn't mentioned the ribbon bar with two clasps, but there it is in the Bay State shot. Curious. The 87th was turned over to the SOS, and most of the units were assigned to base sections. The 345th and 347th infantries and the 312th Sanitary Train were assigned to Intermediate Sector. Would there have been a possibility for any of them to see combat in October/November? Enough for battle/DF clasps? Or is this a transferee? Or, fantasy? Without a name, hard to say, but would appreciate any other thoughts. Neat uniform - came with trou and puttees as well. But w/o info. I will check with Bay State - thanks for the big tip.

Brooke

Brooke:

Any individual from any unit posessing certain skills needed by Third Army could be transferred to meet the need. I am not uncomfortable with the patch arrangement. I would like to suggest that it would be more likely that the ribbon bar is an add-on. Much easier to add that than mess around with sewing patches. Of course, with no name to research, we will never know. Just my 2 cents worth. MHJ

MHJ-

Thanks for your more-than-two-cents-worth of opinion. Glad you feel OK with the patches. Post-war occupation era assignments are of interest to me, and this one looked more than OK. Agree on the ribbon bar, but will keep it that way for now. All the best,

Brooke