Vietnam era warrant officer shoulder rank insignia

daskrieg

I am in search of someone who can help me figure out what I would need to complete a Vietnam era helicopter pilot with the rank of Warrant Officer what Insignia do I need to complete the shoulder board. His rank would be a warrant officer but I am not sure which Insignia I need. Any help is greatly appreciated color photograph would be very appreciated

I assume you are talking about the shoulder of the green Class A? There were four warrant grades at the time, and the insignia changed in 1972. There are many photos in this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16019-warrant-officer-ranks/

This graphic may be of help, but please post any other questions.

Justin B.

post-3982-0-48407500-1537639426_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am planning to do the same, but also for the other four branches. Did they all change at the same date, or were the times different. Also, are they still current, or just subdued being used. With the CWO 5 when did that start and would they be used for all branches. Last, with the shoulder insignia's and being clutch back, why are there some that have more of a curve than the regular ones?

Below is a summary of the changes. The change to four grades was in 1955, but there were different dates before it became mandatory. The Army still uses "full color" on the beret, black raincoat and windbreaker and (embroidered) on the shirt shoulder marks, and maybe some other items. The Army had "Master Warrant Officer" CW4 from '88 to '92, then it became CW5. The Coast Guard still doesn't use W5. I'm not sure about the more or less curve on the pins.

post-3982-0-47460000-1545527701_thumb.jpg

Not rank insignia, but a part of warrant officer identification..

In the spring of 1968, the Coast Guard changed the names of all the traditional warrant officer specialties with the exception of Boatswain. The USN changed the names of the specialties back about 10 years earlier.

Boatswain remained Boatswain (BOSN) crossed foul anchors

Gunner became Weapons (WEPS) flaming bomb

Carpenter became Material Maintenance (MAT) carpenter square

Machinist (General) became Naval Engineer (ENG) three blade ships prop

Machinist (Aviation) became Aviation Eng. (AVI) winged airplane prop

Electrician became Electrician (TEL) electricians globe

Radio Electrician Ops became Comms (COMM) four sparks

Radio Electrician Eng became Electronics (ELC) hydrogen atom

Pharmacist became Medical Admin (MED) cadeuseus

Photographer became Public Information (INF) camera

Ships Clerk became Personnel Admin (PERS) crossed quill pens

Supply Clerk became Finance & Supply (F&S) horizontal oak leak

After the Viet Nam era a number of new warrant specialties have been created for the CG..