MRE Pizza

12thengr

No more "Meatballs in BBQ Sauce", what in the world were they thinking! That was, by far, my favorite MRE. I loved the chocolate nut cake that came with it, too.

• 2 months later...

MRE pizza... Interesting. In 1984-86 I had to eat an unfortunate amount of MREs (ham and chicken loaf anyone?) At one point curiosity and boredom got the best of me. From my MREs I gathered:

The crackers

The peanut butter (careful to not smash the packet)

The ketchup

The cheese spread

One of the meat packets and the Vienna sausages.

Into the flat side of my mess kit I smeared the oil from the peanut butter packet (this usually had separated and had to be squished back into the peanut paste). Then crushed the crackers and made a thick paste by adding a little water. This was flattened out onto the greased pan. Then I topped it with sliced Vienna sausage, chunks of the meat, the cheese and ketchup. This was then covered with the other half of the mess kit and cooked over trioxane tabs until the crust browned a bit.

It did not hold together well or taste good.... But worth a shot!

Tom

• 10 months later...

I have discovered that the most palatable, in my opinion is Menu 5, white chicken chunks. the contracts from FY19 have changed slightly, requiring some scrounging to make this work.

Take the pouch with the chicken, knead until the chicken is totally shredded.

Trade or toss that awful Barbecue sauce for some hot sauce, and if extra lucky try to find the chili lime hot sauce from menu 11.

Drain the mystery fluid from the chicken and add hot sauce, crush up crackers into small chunks and add them to the mix.

On the other hand, avoid "Asian style beef strips with vegetables"...never again.

There's a surplus store near me that sells MRE accessories, and MRE Jalapeno cheese spread and apple jelly at .10 a packet (10/$1) is great! I keep a stock in the RV.

We found a stock of knock-off MREs in the back of a warehouse today...no idea how they got there, but they're rather...unique...lots of curry meals...LOTs of vegetarian meals...every accessory pack has a roll of Smarties...and they all have crackers, but ABSOLUTELY NO SPREADS...no cheese, no PB, no jelly...nothing...just dry crackers that don't make sense with the meals

We found a stock of knock-off MREs in the back of a warehouse today...no idea how they got there, but they're rather...unique...lots of curry meals...LOTs of vegetarian meals...every accessory pack has a roll of Smarties...and they all have crackers, but ABSOLUTELY NO SPREADS...no cheese, no PB, no jelly...nothing...just dry crackers that don't make sense with the meals

Lots of curry and dry crackers? No thanks!

Hmmm, MREs? MREs? I seem to remember eating those when I was in the Army. Of course, when I went Air Force, it was three (or four) hot meals on a tray in an air conditioned or heated dining facility with FOX News on the big screen. And that was in the field!!!

Of course, there were times when we couldn't get a hot meal, so we had to brown bag it. Literally. Hit the "Turn and Burn" pick up your brown bag meal with sandwich, chips, cold drink and a dessert and off you go.

Hmmm, MREs? MREs? I seem to remember eating those when I was in the Army. Of course, when I went Air Force, it was three (or four) hot meals on a tray in an air conditioned or heated dining facility with FOX News on the big screen. And that was in the field!!!

Of course, there were times when we couldn't get a hot meal, so we had to brown bag it. Literally. Hit the "Turn and Burn" pick up your brown bag meal with sandwich, chips, cold drink and a dessert and off you go.

Yeah, we know..... the Air Force DFAC in Krgyzstan had a candy bar buffet rack and TGI Friday apps on Fridays...

Yeah, we know..... the Air Force DFAC in Krgyzstan had a candy bar buffet rack and TGI Friday apps on Fridays...

Brig, It was major culture shock after 18 years in the Infantry!