World War I USMC Belleau Woods Marine Group on Ebay

Hey Everyone,

I'm watching this auction on ebay, and was hoping to hear some of the experts feedback on it. I've been out of collecting WWI USMC items for a few years and am just getting back into it...so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks, Gene

https://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-I-USMC-Belleau-Woods-Marine-Group-Collar-Brass-Cap-Plate-NR/302858162595

-Gene

“The English fight for Honor, the French for Glory, but the Americans fight for Souvenirs!"

Roy S. Durstine, 1918

Hey Everyone,

I'm watching this auction on ebay, and was hoping to hear some of the experts feedback on it. I've been out of collecting WWI USMC items for a few years and am just getting back into it...so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks, Gene

https://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-I-USMC-Belleau-Woods-Marine-Group-Collar-Brass-Cap-Plate-NR/302858162595

It looks fine to me and seems worth the money.

donation2018.gif

Gene,

Here are my thoughts on this group. It has been on eBay for a long time. To me that's an indicator that the group is either over priced or has a problem (maybe both). I like the boxed good conduct medal and the copy of the service record which confirms the medal number. The dog tag looks okay to me, but I not a dog tag collector so perhaps someone else may give you an opinion on that. Some of the other pieces seem like they might have been added to the group. My biggest concern is the World War Victory Medal and the absence of clasps, this Marine would certainly have had a clasp or two on his victory medal. You'd have to do some research to find out if this man rated a World War One Occupation Medal. Since the medal wasn't issued until the 1940's you may never know if he applied for and was issued one. At $600 I would not be putting this group into my collection. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

You have a document confirming the GCM, and a set of matching (hopefully) dog tags, two un-named un numbered medals and assorted pieces. The Victory medal has no bars. Do an ancestry search on the name to determine his service. If wounded at BW and sent home,he should have at least one bar. If he served the whole time, up to five. For me the group is worth the sum of the parts. Could it have all come together, possibly, but the no bars on Victory is concerning. Having said that all the parts appear authentic. The GCM, document and dog tags alone though may be worth almost half the asking price. The discs at least $250, cap piece another $75 so price wise, it is about right if pieced out.

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

I have bought from this seller before, he seems to be a good honest guy. He's been at this for many years and strikes me as an upstanding and honorable guy. As for the Victory medal without clasps. I own several WWI USMC groups that have victory medals and the clasps were or are loose from the medal. Now I know there are victory medal experts out there who know way more than I do and probably have the research to validate whatever correction they would make to my assessment, but the fact that several of my WWI USMC medal groups that have victory medals (one which came directly from the family) came to me with the clasps unattached and on the loose and the reverse retaining bars appear to have never been bent which would suggest they have never had been manipulated to fit on the ribbon of the medal. Of those victory medals that I have like that, the ribbon is significantly shorter than the ones that you see that have the 4-5 bars applied, they are the typical shorter drape of ribbon you often see on Marine Corps medals. I also have WWI USMC medal groups that have the short drape of ribbon with no bars, perhaps the bars were lost in the intervening century if they were not originally attached. Lastly I have a complete USMC group that came directly from the Marines son who himself was a raider in WWII and his father's group had a short draped victory medal with no bars then a long strip of rainbow victory medal ribbon with the appropriate bars attached but no planchet or broach, just the strip of ribbon. Again perhaps I am wrong but I have a suspicion that some of these were in fact sent to the recipients unassembled and with the appropriate bars included. I say that with no definitive proof beyond my very very microcosmic observation of what I have in my collection. I do have the records and without them in front of me I cannot recall the specific verbiage, but I do recall the wording in the transmittal which sort of loosely implied that those particular medals in question were sent and the accompanied with the appropriate campaign bars. Just my two cents and in short the lack of bars does not immediately cause me any apprehension based on my pseudo novice observations.

donation2012.gif

Always looking for quality WWI and WWII USMC items. Particularly 4th Marine Brigade related items, medals, uniforms helmets ephemera, Also WWII USMC items including uniforms, medals, etc. to combat veterans especially Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima. Let me know what you have. Semper Fi

You should always listen to devildog34. Very well may have been together forever as a grouping. In this case, that might always be a bit impossible to tell for certain, but as stated, the asking price is basically the sum of the parts and in that sense, a fair buy. Good luck.

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

Great information, guys. I appreciate it...especially the level of detail. I surmised that 'worst case scenario' the parts came close to the price, but i just either don't know or forgot all the details behind the WWI USMC stuff.

Thanks again.

-Gene

“The English fight for Honor, the French for Glory, but the Americans fight for Souvenirs!"

Roy S. Durstine, 1918

After carefully considering everyone's thoughts on the item, i decided to make the seller an offer and he accepted it. Thank you for your feedback and the wealth on information shared.

-Gene

Roy S. Durstine, 1918

Congrats, I think you did okay. Kevin