PHOTO: Officers' Personal Purchase Overcoats

OhioBright86

world war I nerd

1st Lieutenant Officers' Overcoat (left) - The single loop of black braid on each sleeve indicates the rank of 1st lieutenant.

Commercially made "Officers' Trench Coat (right) - Also looks like either a 1st or 32nd Division shoulder patch on the left shoulder of the guy wearing a trench coat

world war I nerd

The Quartermaster specifications for officers' overcoats called for "horn buttons. Enlisted men's overcoats were made with the dull bronze eagle buttons.

This photo shows the types of buttons used on U.S. Army overcoats:

Top row:

Rimless brass eagle buttons from the 1800's until 1902 (I think these were used on both officers and enlisted men's overcoats)

Rimless bronze eagle buttons from 1902 until 1912-ish (used on enlisted men's overcoats only)

Bottom row:

Animal horn buttons (used on officers' overcoats from 1902 all the way through WW I, and possibly beyond - not sure of the exact date when this style of button was discontinued)

Rimmed composite eagle buttons (used on some enlisted men's overcoats during 1917 and 1918, as an alternative for bronze buttons)

Rimmed bronze eagle buttons used from 1912-ish through WW I and beyond (again, not sure when this style of button was replaced)

post-5143-0-46930900-1537436805_thumb.jpg