Have anyone ever seen 60s-70s Nickel/Chrome Officer's Branch of Service Badges

patches

Have anyone ever seen Nickel/Chrome Officer's Branch of Service Badges, reason why I ask is that back in the 60s-70s EMs had to wear only Nickel collar discs, Cap devices too I imagine if the service cap was being worn, if they had Nickel buttons on their coat, then too officers? The officers service cap would be hard right because of the Gold Chin Strap officers had, here perhaps only the garrison cap then would be worn, and the U.S. Officers badges would pose no problem in that they could just get a set of Air Force Officer U.S. ones, these being Nickel/Silver, but it's the other insignia, the officers BOS, like Infantry, Finance Corps, Engineers etc etc etc

VolunteerArmoury

I have some Warrant Officers BOS & cap insignia that were the white gold. If youd like a photo Ill do my best to remember when I get home after being in N.C. but it may be a while.

I have some Warrant Officers BOS & cap insignia that were the white gold. If youd like a photo Ill do my best to remember when I get home after being in N.C. but it may be a while.

Yes, I think that might be a good starting off point reference wise, please do.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party on this, but I can assure you that silver finished officers' collar brass existed and was worn. You will also find silver buttons on officers' uniforms as if the officer opted for the silver color, it had to be worn uniformly. You couldn't wear silver buttons and gilt brass or silver brass and gilt buttons.

As an aside, back when I was a 2nd LT, you could polish the gold bars so brightly that they would look silver. That was fine if they were actually gold rank insignias highly polished, but you couldn't wear silver bars and get away with that.

Allan

Thanks Allan, the reason I asked is because of this topic, a Generals coat that appears to have Nickle-Silver buttons.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/316422-need-help-dating-green-army-coat/?hl=94th

Now with this coat if it has those buttons (OP has not responded to themick and me to confirm if they are Nickle), then with a general it would be no problem with insignia as the majority of them just wear the U.S. on the collar without branch, and here, a nice pair of Air Force officer U.S. insignia will do as they are Nickle -Silver, but with other officers, then the branch of service comes into play, so was curious if they were made.

Have both buttons and branch insignia that are "silver" in color...both officer and enlisted variety. From speaking with different people over the years, the most common answer (from collectors and people who served then) was that the regulations at some point in the 50's - 70's specified that "gold" was approved for buttons and insignia...well it didn't specify "White gold" so one could wear white gold (the silver color), so long as his/her buttons and insignia were all the same shade.

post-34986-0-36502900-1538619381_thumb.jpg

Let's post the rears of these. On further thought these also could be post 1968 ones for one of the battalions of the 18th Field Artillery in West Germany, remembering that the Artillery Branch formed in 1957 was divided in 1968 back into two branches, the Air Defense Artillery and Field Artillery, with FA reverting back to it's tradition crossed cannons while ADA retains the 57 insignia, upright missile on crossed cannons.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have two Warrant Officer Class A uniforms from the 60s in my collection with silver buttons and silver insignia here's my understanding this was an option but not too widely done

I have two Warrant Officer Class A uniforms from the 60s in my collection with silver buttons and silver insignia here's my understanding this was an option but not too widely done

That's very nice, on the hallmark, what do you think it says?

Not sure. Ill see if i can get a better look. The city looks like, LiN.Y.(I assume Long Island, N.Y.)

You are correct, I personally seen only one guy with it in 80-81 affecting this, and had a AG44 coat with this, a mid to late 60s worn coat I assume since all the sewn on insignia was flat edge, 3rd ACR with I think Spec 4 ranks, don't have that one anymore for a long time.

You learn something new every day. I am a retired Warrant Officer and had never heard of this. I retired in 75.

Paul

Salome, AZ

• 3 weeks later...

Found some more silver BoS insignia. The engineer & AJ are flat back.

Chemical Warfare is silver back dome style with brass crossed beakers. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

VolunteerArmoury

I’d guess that Chemical Corps one is a mixture between & not originally sold like that. I still need to find mine. I have a set of WO cap badges & collar insignia, some enlisted Infantry insignia, & a couple uniforms with silver buttons.

• 3 weeks later...

Silver enlisted hat badgede74afb7e703aa58bd2c38f8684833f8.jpg

That's a great posting, don't see these often, if at all. Is there a hallmark on it?

• 6 months later...
firefighter

Found this at a museum/store in North Georgia.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but the buttons and insignia are silver.

Thought it was unusual to see this on a uniform from the early-mid 90's.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

firefighter

Great addition FF, say what's the shoulder patches on this (Org and Combat)?

Great question. LoL! I thought I took pictures of them, but did not. If I rermeber right they were National Guard units, local(TN or GA?). Pretty much all the items were donated by local veterans