My 2nd Great Grandpa and Great Grandpa's uniforms. (26th ID & 33rd ID)

No Quarter

Thankfully I found a DUI for the 123rd Infantry Regiment! I put it on the right collar and now the search is on for another one.

Jacob

post-162535-0-53385600-1578504469.jpg

Thankfully I found a DUI for the 123rd Infantry Regiment! I put it on the right collar and now the search is on for another one.

Jacobpost-162535-0-53385600-1578504469.jpg

Regret to report that that DI came out only in 1952 and was not wore by the 123rd Inf in WWII, they in fact had no DI in WWII

Just to show you, this from the Post the Patch Type Crest Being Worn topic.

The 33rd Infantry Division as seen on Pvt Edward Colwell, the infamous upside down wearing CIB GI from CHASEUSA11B's recent post, posted here with his kind permission. Colwell is from the 123rd Infantry, the reason Colwell wears this type of Crest is that the WWII era 123rd Infantry had no DI, it only got one for the first time in March 1952, when the 123rd Inf was on active duty with the 44th Infantry Division lIlinois National Guard.

post-34986-0-32280100-1376032850.jpg

Dang that’s a bummer. Thankfully I didn’t pay a lot. Thanks for the info!

Jacob

The bright side of it is you can try and buy a PERIOD matching pair of the 33rd Inf Div Patch Type Crests, to be sure not all or many wore them within the 123rd Infantry in late 45 early 46, but some did, and adding them to this jacket would be a nice touch.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jacob, I can shed some light on the WW1 pamphlet marked 31st Division found in your 2nd great grandfather's WW1 tunic pocket. He actually was assigned to the 31st Division sometime after he was drafted. And he moved overseas to France with the Headquarters Company, 124th Infantry Regt, 31st Division, in October 1918. After the 31st Division arrived in France it was held as a replacement unit and its soldiers were transferred out to other veteran combat units trying to refill their ranks after suffering losses. That's how your 2nd great-grandfather William M. Lund wound up with the 26th Division.

By the way, your 2nd great-grandfather's Army Serial number was 1354591. His overseas travel orders listed his father, your 2nd great-great grandfather as Arat J. Lund. Arat lived at a place called National Mines, Mich, obviously the site of a company mine in an unincorporated part of Tilden Township, in Marquette County, Upper Pennisula of Michigan. I have a friend from Marquette, and from what I remember visiting up there there's not much up there even today.

Below: Here's a copy of the US Army Transportation list for your William M Lund's movement overseas to France in October 1918. There's a close-up attachment that show's William's name and information better (third down on list), and a smaller attachment of the entire page.

post-61052-0-00785100-1581308165.jpg

post-61052-0-74319100-1581308209.jpg

Here is William's WW1 draft card. At the time he filled this out he was employed at the Stegmiller Mine located at Princeton, Mich, and owned by the Oliver Mining Co.. He listed himself as a laborer at the mine, and still single/not married.

post-61052-0-50127900-1581308707.jpg

post-61052-0-24604500-1581308717.jpg

Hi Jacob, I can shed some light on the WW1 pamphlet marked 31st Division found in your 2nd great grandfather's WW1 tunic pocket. He actually was assigned to the 31st Division sometime after he was drafted. And he moved overseas to France with the Headquarters Company, 124th Infantry Regt, 31st Division, in October 1918. After the 31st Division arrived in France it was held as a replacement unit and its soldiers were transferred out to other veteran combat units trying to refill their ranks after suffering losses. That's how your 2nd great-grandfather William M. Lund wound up with the 26th Division.

By the way, your 2nd great-grandfather's Army Serial number was 1354591. His overseas travel orders listed his father, your 2nd great-great grandfather as Arat J. Lund. Arat lived at a place called National Mines, Mich, obviously the site of a company mine in an unincorporated part of Tilden Township, in Marquette County, Upper Pennisula of Michigan. I have a friend from Marquette, and from what I remember visiting up there there's not much up there even today.

Below: Here's a copy of the US Army Transportation list for your William M Lund's movement overseas to France in October 1918. There's a close-up attachment that show's William's name and information better (third down on list), and a smaller attachment of the entire page.

Thank you so much for the info! Very interesting! I live in Marquette right now for college very nice small town but outisde of Marquette is not much civilization after the mines closed.

Thanks again,

Jacob

I have never heard of Arat Lund, is his WW2 record available? I never found him on ancestry nor has my Great Grandma ever mentoned him.