What's The Lowest You've Paid For An M1?

RememberThe5thESB

RememberThe5thESB

I thought this might be interesting to post up here. No particular reason really, just for fun!

I personally have paid 16 dollars for a post war 1950s McCord. And before that my cheapest purchase would have to be a WW2 rear seam schlueter shell, rusty and beat up but it retained much of the original paint and cork. But as a rookie mistake I decided to repaint it and strip it of the old stuff. Only paid 18 for it.

I'd love to hear from others on their cheapest finds!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

About 30+ years ago, I paid $5.00 for a Viet Nam era M1 with liner at a long gone surplus store. The place had 7 or 8 cardboard 55 gal barrels filled with M1s. At the time I had no idea what front or rear seam or fixed or swivel bails meant. The place closed long before I got edumacated here at USMF. Sometimes I cry when I think about what may have been in those barrels.

I only have one pot, a RS/SB McCord late to post-war that I paid no more than $15. It was missing almost all of its paint and corking, but only had a couple small dings. I repainted and recorked it, put on some J. Murray chinstraps, and use it as my reenactment helmet.

My dad however was far luckier. The H.S. theater department was cleaning out their inventory and he saw a M1 pot hiding among the junk. It was a FS/FB Schlueter with original paint and cork, and not a dent on it. He walked out with it without spending a dime (he taught at the school).

$45 for a named 10th Mtn FS/FB with Imp liner. Bought it back when I was a sprat when I started in 1994. Was at a local antiques store that had a "military" room. Had the mans serial number on the chinstrap and came back to a guy in the 86th Mtn Infantry- but didn't find that out until 10 years later- was thinking of selling it and figured I would research it first.

Airborne-Hunter

Friend of mine got a coast guard FS FB w/ Hawley for $2 in 2012. Another friend picked up a FS SB w/ westy liner for $10 a week ago. I got a nice FS FB complete with westy for $40 over the summer. I got a four panel Korean War Medic helmet five years ago for $45, a Korea war navy corpsman for $55 this summer. Another friend got a FS FB navy helmet for $20 earlier late last year. Pulled an 85th painted liner fix bail off ebay about 10 years ago for $80 too described wrong and in the wrong section.Lots of stuff to be found out there! Best ABN

A close friend of mine was a Korean and Vietnam war vet, started out enlisted as a mechanic. Went airborne after he got tired of filling differential cases with oatmeal eventually retired as a major.

He gave me a very early fixed loop, an m3 flak helmet painted with the 3rd recon, 3rd armored insignia on the front, an early inland liner with captain insignia and other assorted items. I'd give the stuff back if I could have one more day to hang out with the man.

$25 for a fixed loop named to a Peleliu vet. $15 for a rayon westinghouse. The fixed loop was found couple years ago, I found the liner this past May.

About 2 or 3 years ago I paid $50.00 for a Korean war pot with an untouched WWII Inland Para liner in it.

About 18 years ago I picked up an experimental Hawley liner off ebay. The good days of ebay.

Back when they ran the old Lowell, Mass. show there was an older man who would bring a table full of WWII helmets each show,. $20.00 ea. Fixed and flex bail and an occasional para.

Ken

About 2 or 3 years ago I paid $50.00 for a Korean war pot with an untouched WWII Inland Para liner in it.

About 18 years ago I picked up an experimental Hawley liner off ebay. The good days of ebay.

Back when they ran the old Lowell, Mass. show there was an older man who would bring a table full of WWII helmets each show,. $20.00 ea. Fixed and flex bail and an occasional para.

Ken

If we're including liners, I picked up a Hawley liner w/chinstrap and sweatband at an antique store about three years ago for $20.....Couldn't get the money out quick enough....Bodes

I used to buy them for a buck apiece back in the 80s, but my dad's got me beat by a long shot. He got a 6'x4' crate of them for free when one of the local Navy Reserve stations shut down, and that was years before he got an invasion stripe WWII Navy helmet at a yard sale for a buck.

Ken

Ken, do you still have the experimental Hawley? Would love to see some photos of it!

-Grant

Not an M1... But my first piece of militaria was a WWI Doughboy helmet. Belonged to a local man. I saw it at 10 years of age, knew it was special,and my old grandpa ran the box lot it was in up to $11.00, with my grandma discouraging such an expense of money! Not sure why he did it. He collected a lot of other old things, himself, so maybe he saw something in me. This was about 1990. Around 2006 I figured out why it had no rim... And it was magnetic as well... Only wish I had the sense at 10 years of age to get the guy's name!

So my original rimless Brodie was $11 to make a short story long!

I got paid monthly to wear a FS/Swivel from 1986-88. I then brought it home when we switched to Kevlar and I still own it. As a kid, I would go to the surplus store in Detroit and find WWII helmets in large bins for $3.00 with the liners. Scott