marine corps group ww2

Costa

M422A1------------ correct! same thing that I was thinking. the war was still going on after Iwo. there was still 5 mouths to go with Okinawa to come. who knows what was done with or to his lid till the end of the war. plus I will say this--------- there is no way that I will play with that cover. I will not even attempt to remove it!

WOW!! This story keeps getting better!! If I recall the seller was selling off items they bought from an estate sale. There were multiple helmets and other military related items. I am guessing the estate was from another collector. I wonder if any of his other item belonged to the same Marine.

I believe in the Iwo Jima photo that helmet cover stands a great chance of being worn "Brownside Out" by visible shapes, as was common during that battle. Worth checking to be sure upon arrival IMO.

Costa,

If after checking the brown side you confirm that it's not the cover he is wearing in the Iwo photo, please let me know. It's possible that I own his other cover. I will place it on a helmet and see where the spots line up when I receive it and I'll let you know.

-Grant

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-WWII-Vietnam-Era-USMC-Camo-M1-Helmet-Covers-Camoflauge-Unmarked-/382547954787?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=YJfg%252F%252F5fB8lZxFMyKS0StEQN8Ko%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

post-11015-0-51631800-1537291992_thumb.jpg

OK GUYS, SOME NEWS ABOUT THE LID---------- SELLER GOT BACK TO ME. HE SAID HE NEVER CHANGED THE COVER, IT IS AS HE BOUGHT IT FROM THE WIFE OF THE COLLECTOR WHO HAD IT AND SOLD OFF THE COLLECTION AFTER HIS DEATH. SO I DO ASSUME IT IS THE COVER THE VET PUT ON IT SOME TIME DURING IWO OR DURING THE OCCUPATION OF JAPAN. I AM WAITING FOR HIS RECORDS FROM GOLDEN ARROW TO SEE IF HE WAS AT OKINAWA AS WELL.

Interesting Grant. Let us know if you have the cover in the photo on Iwo! That would be awesome to link it back to the original lid.

It is completely possible that a collector placed a different camp on that lid. No way of knowing for sure.

Well this post caught fire, wow. Most excellent indeed

Henry Weaver has two chapters in "Semper Fidelis : the U.S. marines in the Pacific 1942-1945, by the Marine Corps combat correspondents"

If this was in my collection I'd grab every book and article I could find that has him in it as well as his writings

EVEN IF THAT COVER WASNT CRUSTED TO THAT POT, I STILL WOULDNT MONKEY WITH IT. YOU SEE GUYS, I GO BY THE PREMIS--- YOU PLAY WITH IT, IT AINT ORIGONAL ANY MORE. FROM THE LOOKS OF THAT COVER IT APPEARS TO LOOK LIKE A TIGHT FIT AND YES HE COULD HAVE REPLACED IT.

THERE IS AN OLD SAYING--------------- IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT!

UP DATE---- I RECEIVED THE HELMET TODAY. IT IS NICE. I CAREFULLY LIFTED UP THE FINGERS OF THE COVER TO SEE IF THERE WAS A NAME INSIDE THE POT--- THERE WASNT. THE BAG WITH THE ART WORK ON IT SEEMS TO BE THE COVER POSSIBLY TO HIS TYPEWRITER. ON THE FLAPS AND INSIDE THERE IS PAINTED PRINTING WHICH I WILL PUT UP PICTURES OF. ITS A NICE LITTLE GROUP AND HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.

ADDITION---------- THE MARKINGS ON THE BAG WERE NOT SHOWN BY THE SELLER NOR WAS THE BACK THAT HAD PRINTED ALL THE PLACES HE WAS AT.

post-73-0-04541600-1537468562.jpg

post-73-0-58362300-1537468607.jpg

The helmet is a beauty in it's own right but the bag with all the places he's been is the icing in this fine group.

How fitting for a writer to be so detailed in not just naming the atolls he was in but also the specific islands

• 1 year later...
kelly.weaver22

This is going to sound odd, but hopefully you see this post. Hank was my grandfather (my father’s father). He passed after the accident and my father was young (he was born in 57). I know you’re a collector, but I want to see if you’d ever be up for discussing the items, as we have only his writings from after the war and his sports commentary items. It’s more just trying to track down family history with my dad. Hope you see this!

Kurt Barickman

Id take this a step further, and caution against assuming correspondents were non-combat Marines.

Quite the contrary, what they were reporting on, primarily, was combat. So Correspondents, Journalists, etc, were often in the thick of it with combat Marines. For a good retrospective on this, I would recommend the documentary Shooting Iwo Jima; or at least Google Bill Genaust.

As anybody who served will tell you, during war, everybody is infantry.

Good find Costa, congrats.

Very true; also look up Norman Hatch.

Nice set.

Kurt