marine corps group ww2

Costa

im sure many of you have seen this on ebay. I am surprised it didn't go for much. the vet was not a combat marine but, just a correspondent that served 1942 to 46. he was killed in a car accident in 1964 at age 49. I took this because it is named pot and liner and not played with. there is a lot of info on him on the web and thanks to Dave who steered me in the right direction. thing is, you don't see many original marine ww2 lids so I jumped on it.

post-73-0-40977700-1537144935.jpg

post-73-0-50819100-1537145211.jpg

Muster rolls have him listed with 5th Mar Div Jan 45 thru july of 45'

What are the chances he was on Iwo?

Correspondents do get embedded with victor units

I like this one, Keith

Id take this a step further, and caution against assuming correspondents were non-combat Marines.

Quite the contrary, what they were reporting on, primarily, was combat. So Correspondents, Journalists, etc, were often in the thick of it with combat Marines. For a good retrospective on this, I would recommend the documentary Shooting Iwo Jima; or at least Google Bill Genaust.

As anybody who served will tell you, during war, everybody is infantry.

Good find Costa, congrats.

Muster rolls have him listed with 5th Mar Div Jan 45 thru july of 45'

What are the chances he was on Iwo?

Correspondents do get embedded with victor units

I like this one, Keith

well, he was in service 1942-46. don't bank so much on not being a combat lid---------- original marine helmets untouched are not common. this was there. I have to get his records--------- they will tell the story.

Very nice grouping, Costa! I was able to pick up the lot of 2 camouflage covers - another one of this seller's many nice helmet-related listings that ended last night.

Amazing group. I wanted this one too, but I am also looking for one used by the Infantry ( with provenance).

Also, SSgt Henry A. Weaver III is quoted in the book Tales of Valor, Page 418. It’s about Iwo Jima and based on what he is quoted saying, I think there is a good chance he was there.

Looks like he was on Iwo. His MOS in January 1945 with the 5th MAR DIV was 247 (COMBAT CORRESPONDENT). To make it more rare, this lid was worn by a correspondent. Super cool and congrats!

post-131595-0-34329300-1537212682_thumb.png

It wasn't cheap in the end but such a great helmet and one with potential of being used on Iwo. I would look around for any press photos of him on Iwo and see if his camo cover matches up.

Found this online with the caption below. Costa, is this your marine?

Marine combat correspondent, Staff Sergeant Hank Weaver, types his story of the Marines on Iwo Jima

post-98601-0-13951100-1537223470.jpg

His name is Henry..Not Hank. Interesting though... unless its a typo with his name. The camo cover doesn't match btw

Hank is a nickname for Henry...… as Jack is a nickname for JOHN(as in Jack/John F Kennedy)

I believe in the Iwo Jima photo that helmet cover stands a great chance of being worn "Brownside Out" by visible shapes, as was common during that battle. Worth checking to be sure upon arrival IMO.