Repro M38 Tanker Helmet

tk1976

Does anybody know who makes good quality reproductions of the tanker helmets? I've see a couple for sale from different vendors, but not many reviews on them or anything.

I forget where mine came from... was about 135. I'll post pictures and find out where it came from if you want.

Yes thank you, I'd appreciate it.

Just curious how so?

my original has a very shallow dome that also isn't perfectly dome shape, but more oval

The originals I've seen always seem to mess this up, they make the dome round and too tall overall

When you compare up close you can easily see what I mean

when they advertise the helmets they take photos that don't really show this clearly

Ive seen a couple on eBay but the color is way off along with the color of the leather. Depends what you want it for but I might just wait for an original to pop up, Ive gotten them before for $180-200 in decent shape. They turn up but not as often as they used to

my original has a very shallow dome that also isn't perfectly dome shape, but more oval

The originals I've seen always seem to mess this up, they make the dome round and too tall overall

When you compare up close you can easily see what I mean

when they advertise the helmets they take photos that don't really show this clearly

Ah ok, I also have the problem of needing one 7 1/2 :unsure:

• 1 month later...

At The Front makes a good copy of the tanker helmet. I use one for tank destroying reenacting. See for yourself if you like their take on the tanker helmet.

post-178778-0-23661200-1542318203.jpg

At The Front makes a good copy of the tanker helmet. I use one for tank destroying reenacting. See for yourself if you like their take on the tanker helmet.

Hm I didnt know they made any. They seem to be sold out at the moment though, they also seem to be almost identical to the ones by WPG aswell.

Hm I didnt know they made any. They seem to be sold out at the moment though, they also seem to be almost identical to the ones by WPG aswell.

I haven't seen WPG ones before but I'll have to take your word on it. I just looked them up on ATF and yes they do seem sold out at the moment (which is unfortunate but common on ATF). I don't know when they will be restocked which you can always ask but I do have to say that its a nice copy of the tanker helmet but be warned, the snaps on mine stripped from the back strap twice and I had to send it back (they customer service kept me from sending it back for a complete refund). I had to send it back twice to repair free of charge (apparently she told me the first time they sent it for repairs at their in house repair shop that they didn't check all snaps and the second time she said that it was a big goof on their end that they did not check all snaps). While this was really upsetting in a pissed off way, the customer service and repair made this helmet a very fine addition to anyone's armor impression and besides the big foul up on their end if your not in a hurry I would recommend the ATF tanker helmet.

I haven't seen WPG ones before but I'll have to take your word on it. I just looked them up on ATF and yes they do seem sold out at the moment (which is unfortunate but common on ATF). I don't know when they will be restocked which you can always ask but I do have to say that its a nice copy of the tanker helmet but be warned, the snaps on mine stripped from the back strap twice and I had to send it back (they customer service kept me from sending it back for a complete refund). I had to send it back twice to repair free of charge (apparently she told me the first time they sent it for repairs at their in house repair shop that they didn't check all snaps and the second time she said that it was a big goof on their end that they did not check all snaps). While this was really upsetting in a pissed off way, the customer service and repair made this helmet a very fine addition to anyone's armor impression and besides the big foul up on their end if your not in a hurry I would recommend the ATF tanker helmet.

At least everything worked out fine, Im not in much of a rush, but thank you again. Ill be sure to message them.

• 2 months later...

WPG has the best reproduction out there. ATF just sells the WPG helmets. That being said the WPG has some major drawbacks as they don't look really accurate, are goofy big, and are based entirely on the Rawlings pattern. They also use really cheap snaps. I was disappointed by what exists to buy so I ended up making my own based on the WILSON pattern and also for larger heads with US made mil-spec snaps.

post-20509-0-19448100-1548539784.jpg