GReetings everyone. I have been trying to figure out the status on a pair of trousers I ordered from AEF Supply, Reproduction American Military Uniforms and Equipment. ( www.aefsupply.com ) The contact person on the order page is a Mr. Alan M. Crane from Norwich CT.

On September 10th, 2008, I ordered a pair of M1937 Woll Trousers ($70.00) through the webpage, using Paypal, after which the funds were promptly paid our of my Paypal account. The Order page stated to expect delivery within 8 weeks, which unfortunately outside of the Paypal payment dispute time frame. The order section clearly states

"Items in stock will be shipped immediately. Custom orders allow 8 weeks for delivery. Due to the custom hand work and occasional difficulties in obtaining materials, I can not guarantee delivery dates. I will however be glad to give you an honest assessment as to when your items might be done" , due to possibly needing to manufacture the trousers if not in stock.

I ordered and have waited since September 10th in good faith. It is now Friday, December 5th, and I have yet to receive the order. About two weeks or so ago I sent an email to the contact information on the webpage, requesting a status of the order, and have received no response. I have just sent a second request for status, and wanted to ask here if anyone on the forum here had ordered or dealt with AEF Supply, and if so, are they a reputable dealer? I am tempted to warn others off on this company.

Any information would be appreciated.

Wayne

Freedom isnt free... it must be paid for. Too often it is paid for by the blood of patriots. For those who have paid their share, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

GReetings everyone. I have been trying to figure out the status on a pair of trousers I ordered from AEF Supply, Reproduction American Military Uniforms and Equipment. ( www.aefsupply.com ) The contact person on the order page is a Mr. Alan M. Crane from Norwich CT.

On September 10th, 2008, I ordered a pair of M1937 Woll Trousers ($70.00) through the webpage, using Paypal, after which the funds were promptly paid our of my Paypal account. The Order page stated to expect delivery within 8 weeks, which unfortunately outside of the Paypal payment dispute time frame. The order section clearly states

"Items in stock will be shipped immediately. Custom orders allow 8 weeks for delivery. Due to the custom hand work and occasional difficulties in obtaining materials, I can not guarantee delivery dates. I will however be glad to give you an honest assessment as to when your items might be done" , due to possibly needing to manufacture the trousers if not in stock.

I ordered and have waited since September 10th in good faith. It is now Friday, December 5th, and I have yet to receive the order. About two weeks or so ago I sent an email to the contact information on the webpage, requesting a status of the order, and have received no response. I have just sent a second request for status, and wanted to ask here if anyone on the forum here had ordered or dealt with AEF Supply, and if so, are they a reputable dealer? I am tempted to warn others off on this company.

Any information would be appreciated.

Wayne

Wayne,

I cant speak from experience, I have never ordered from this company. I have hear from several other people that have however and the vast majority were similar to your problem. Not recieving items, getting the runaorund or get no response at all. Just POOR customer service in general. I recall reading on aother forum about an individual that purchased a complete WWI uniform set and as parts of it came avalable he recieved them but in the end it was almost 2 years before he got the complete uniform.

I would continue to try and contact AEF but at the same time look into contacting the FCC and filing a wire or computer fraud charge. I know its only a $70.00 pair of trousers but just like the USPS and mail fraud the FCC inspectors dont play games.

Wayne, another method of getting Mr. Crane's butt in gear is to contact the Police bunco squad in Norwich CT with details and fax / email your copies that gets folks moving - another one I like, devil.gif call the local TV station and find out if they have an investigative type "eye" reporter and get them the order info, your goods will likely be at your door the next morning. Retailers DO NOT like these type of reporters and cameras showing up at the front door... or this type news on the evening news.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Wayne,

Good luck...I've had a couple dealings with AEF Supply, and a complete mixed bag of results. I'd be hard-pressed to do business with him again, due to the mix. I'm glad to note that when there was more money on the line, is when I got better service.

One useful way anybody can research a vendor (both militaria and repro gear) before a purchase is the link below...also worth posting reviews on when appropriate. Do your own comparison of AEF Supply's rating (7.34) and the common vendor ratings.

http://www.greendevils.com/greendevils/Con...?varACTION=VIEW

Good luck!

Thrasher

I remember:

Chris Ingrassia (9/11) CPT Tristan Aitken (OIF, 2003)

MAJ Paul Syverson (OIF, 2004) CPT Tom Miller (OIF, 2005)

SSG Scottie Bright (OIF, 2005) CPT Chris Petty (OIF, 2006)

MAJ Hurley Shields (OIF, 2008)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks guys... I've left a review... I'll know better next time.

Wayne

Freedom isnt free... it must be paid for. Too often it is paid for by the blood of patriots. For those who have paid their share, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

I haven't ordered anything from them....but I've heard mixed reviews. I think the problem is that most of his stuff is made in India/that region of the world, and his suppliers can run behind.

I think his business is reputable and you'll get your trousers. The wait is just really annoying and better communication might help.

Personally, I would be willing to order from him, but knowing that it might take a long time up front.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

I have never dealt with AEF but I think George Petersen of National Capitol Historical Sales also does WW1 reproduction US uniforms.

RON

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

http://ww2reenactors.proboards35.com/index...amp;thread=5062

as you can see, most people arn't happy with AEF. If you need any repop WW1 gear, go to www.schipperfabrik.com great service, great stuff.

RIP Private Lester H. Scheaffer, 1913 - 1944. 29th Infantry Division, 175th Infantry Regiment, Company F. Killed In Action September 12th, 1944 in France

RIP Sergeant Elwood F. Schaeffer, 1919 - 2001. 21st Engineer Regiment (Aviation) and 824th Engineer Aviation Battalion, attached to the Army Air Force in Iceland

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I've known Alan for a long time. And I can tell you that he was royally, uh, taken... by one of his supplies which screwed up his whole business model.

That being said I am not trying to defend him. I have had too many people tell me stories in the last year or so that I can not condone him keeping his website up.

So Alan, if you see this, dude- take down the website, or at least remove the stuff you can't get in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't think he has become crooked, but just in too deep and keeps thinking he can work his way out of it. However, taking money and not delivering product is inexcusable.

I understand if you are ordering an entire uniform, that the wait can be a little longer... but one pair of trousers can't be that hard to obtain or manufacture, and certainly within an eight week period. Still, if you can not keep up with orders, or simply have no intention to, at least give your customers the common courtesy of an email to let them know it. NOT responding gives people the opinion he is being underhanded and possibly committing fraud. While I do not make such accusations lightly, and reserve them as a last resort, I would not hesitate if any impropriety were evident. I have no tolerance for those who would call themselves a vendor, then place no weight on the rights of the customers they serve. That is unproffessional and extremely bad business. Nor do I have tolerance for those who would take my money that I paid in good faith, and make me wait a year or more for what I paid for. If you cant meet your own time frame, refund the money and I'll take my business elsewhere. I may wind up paying more, but I bet I'd get my order in a timely manner.

Wayne

Wayne,

I will never deal with AEF supply again. I had ordered the WWI Pershing boots which were "in stock" in my size and for one reason or another everytime I contacted him "they will go out next week". Then he said he did not have anymore that he would have to reorder. I am a patient guy and did not absolutely have to have them right away, but I had paid Paypal upfront, so a year and a half later I finally was done with him jerking me around and asked for a refund which took another month to get to me by Paypal. I have talked with other WWI reenactors/ collectors and no one I know will ever deal with him again. Anyway just my opinion.

Kevin

Kevin Braafladt

Looking for items relating to the 91st Infantry Division from WWI. Especially anything pertaining to the 364th Infantry Regiment.

Looking for First Army related items from WWI.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

We've lost touch recently, but I've known Alan personally for many years and can echo Mr. Gawne's sentiments. I would tend think it is mostly a supplier issue. Of course this is no excuse for not providing timely responses to emails, offers of payment refund or more web updates to keep customers aware of any issues with their orders etc.

It has saddened me to read through this thread.

I hope all turns out for the best.

donation2008.gif
Wayne,

I will never deal with AEF supply again. I had ordered the WWI Pershing boots which were "in stock" in my size and for one reason or another everytime I contacted him "they will go out next week". Then he said he did not have anymore that he would have to reorder. I am a patient guy and did not absolutely have to have them right away, but I had paid Paypal upfront, so a year and a half later I finally was done with him jerking me around and asked for a refund which took another month to get to me by Paypal. I have talked with other WWI reenactors/ collectors and no one I know will ever deal with him again. Anyway just my opinion.

Kevin

I agree that a year and a half is entirely too long to have to wait for resolution on something the vendor says will only take two months. I can't imagine with practices like this, that he does much business, if any at all.

On the off side, I too was assigned to Sykes Regulars in Korea 1991-1992, Co C (Killers) 5/20 Infantry, 2nd Inf Div. I also like your signature!

Wayne

Thankfully, I heard about this outfit a while ago when I was thinking of ordering some Spanish-American war stuff. A buddy told me of his experience and I was waved off before any money went their way. I refuse to deal with anyone who only sells via pay pal anyway. It's too easy to get taken.

I agree that a year and a half is entirely too long to have to wait for resolution on something the vendor says will only take two months. I can't imagine with practices like this, that he does much business, if any at all.
I wonder this about a lot of vendors. For example, when I heard that Lost Battalions was going out of business, I recalled all the times I called or e-mailed them about something only to be told it was "in the works" and I seriously question if they ever actually made much US stuff. I had attempted many orders and never got to order anything. Not long ago, I asked others locally if they'd ever ordered anything from them and was told the same thing. Nobody I know ever actually bought anything US made by them and now I owner if they ever really sold US stuff. You can tell the people who are serious about selling. They actually answer the phone when you call, have work hours and their website is updated.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

Hind sight is, as they say 20-20. Looking back, the way the website is worded, it almost screams "Send money at your own risk!"

I just saw this link on his website that I didnt see there a few days ago...

[Where the hell is my uniform?

Due to the huge demand for our WW1 Service uniforms in our new wool and fabric cut, we completely exhausted our stock of WW1 uniform and shirt wool. We have since replenished our stock of fabrics and are working overtime to get all of our orders out the door before the Fall Newville event.

If you are waiting on a pair of Pershing boots, we have experienced the same problem especially in sizes 10, 10 1/2, and 11. We are working through this as well and hope to have these sizes in stock soon.

If you ordered a uniform and have not gotten it yet, rest assured we are doing our damndest to get it out to you. We appreciate your patience while we are meeting your needs.

Thanks,

Alan M, Crane

Owner, AEF Supply]

Now, seeing this, I'm sure he is aware the heat is on him to deliver. Still, a well worded email, even a mass email to all pending customers, would seem to be in order, if anything else, to assure that he is on the job, trying to get the items done as soon as possible.

I was struck by the fact that he talks of expanding his line of US militaria and or repro gear. To this, I have to ask the question, if you can't keep up with the orders from the line you already have, how do you expect to keep up with an expanded line?

I honestly hope he gets it together and can make this right with everyone in a timely manner. I wont wait a year, assurances or not. No customer should have to.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this took so long but thank you for your service Wayne in teh regulars! I just could not resist placing that quote on there!

Kevin Braafladt

Looking for items relating to the 91st Infantry Division from WWI. Especially anything pertaining to the 364th Infantry Regiment.

Looking for First Army related items from WWI.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an update... After six months, I finally received an email from Mr. Crane in reference to my order. He stated that he found a note referring to a refund, but cannot confirm a refund was issued. How odd, as the last email I sent, I hadn't asked for a refund. At this point, I will gladly accept the refund as I have already received a pair of trousers from another source. This was overall, an appalling experience, and I will never order from AEF supply, nor recommend them to anyone else. It's sad, as I can imagine from all the bad reports I have found on the business, that its a miracle he has a business at all. I'll keep you posted on the status of my refund...

Wayne

I ordered a $10 pair of puttees off him in October and still haven't seen them. Luckily it was only $10.

Remembering relatives who served in World War II:

- Pfc. George H. Richards, 320th Regt., 35th Div. - killed in action Nov. 8, 1944 (France)

- Tec. 5 William Richards, 1st Armored Div.

- Pfc. William Everitt, Co. K, 21st Marine Regt., 3rd Marine Div. - killed in action July 28, 1944 (Guam)

- Petty Officer 1st Class George Everitt, U.S. Navy

- Private. Anthony 'Popeye' Loro, Fifth Army, U.S. Army

- Radioman 3rd Class Arthur Loro, U.S. Navy, U.S.S. Holt

- Private Charles 'Jack' Cavone, 351st Regt., 88th Division - captured Sep. 24, 1944 (Stalag VIIA)

- Private Ralph Liberati, 5307th Composite Unit "Merrill's Marauders," U.S. Army

- Seaman Louis Borghi, U.S. Navy, U.S.S. Dennis J. Buckley

• 9 months later...

Well it is very much against my nature to post negative stuff...BUT this one cost me alot. There was a time when Alan first started that he did great things and I and a museum I worked for bought some stuff from him and we talked on the phone a few times, knowledgeable and friendly person...it went down hill from there. In 2001 I loaned him an original M1910 1st pattern pack carrier (with dog ears)...i have not seen it since. I also ordered to hardbread tins for a total of $70, those never arrived and he said he thought he mailed the last two he had to me, just give it time. Basically he avoided repeated emails...if I used and alternative email account to inquire about if something was in stock or not, I got a reply in two days or less, if he if I asked about my pack tail or hardbread tins I never got a response! So he WAS reading his emails and he WAS avoiding people...sad that he went down that road. He had good stuff and was very knowledgeable, if he had issues with his supplier he needed to be upfront. All in all I won't send another dollar to him, nor trust him, nor recommend him to others! Reading above neither will several others...militaria is a SMALL community, not good to do us wrong. As an updated, his website seems to be down now.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

My two cents worth...he ripped-off my order. Alan Crane is a scam artist. He will fight to the death to get out of any commitment or contract, but at the end of the day you will not get the product that you pre-paid for purchase! Please do not listen to me...just go here:

http://www.bbb.org/connecticut/business-re...ich-ct-87047861

If you desire business with an "F" rated customer, than by all means...ENJOY Alan the Cheat!

AEF SUPPLY/Alan is a documented LOSER!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.