New Book multi-volume series on the battle of Belleau Wood

devildog34

Happy to announce to everyone that Volume I of the book I have been working on, "Among the Ranks of the Carrion Men: The Epic Story of the Thirty-Six-Day Fight in and around Belleau Wood," is now available. It is available through the publisher, Amazon, Barnes and Noble as well as a few other places. The book focuses on the brutal reality of what happened almost exclusively from the perspective of the men who fought it. It is a 25-meters front and flank perspective told from the accounts of the Marines, Soldiers and Sailors, many of these accounts have never been heard before. The book encompasses the entirety of the battle from both Marines and Soldiers. For those who are interested in reading it, I really hope you enjoy it. It has been a very very long road of research balancing a career as a high school teacher full time, an adjunct history instructor at night and beginning a family, but I was blessed to be surrounded by a wife and other family members who understood how important this was to me and encouraged me. A lot of folks here on the forum have also been very helpful and encouraging in this endeavor. Volume I covers the background of how the battle developed and then covers in vivid detail the involvement of the 2nd Division AEF from May 30-June 5th (The Aisne Defensive). Volume II, which should be available very soon (before the end of the year) will cover June 6th in its entirety. The rest of the battle is in the works in later volumes. Below are the links to the book. Again I really hope you all enjoy this book it was a labor of love and I am so very proud to make my small contribution to telling the stories of these great men.

Semper Fi

https://www.amazon.com/Among-Ranks-Carrion-Men-Thirty-Six-Day/dp/1387981978/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536950563&sr=8-1&keywords=among+the+ranks+of+the+carrion+men

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/among-the-ranks-of-the-carrion-men-kevin-seldon/1129485177?ean=9781387981977

https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=among+the+ranks+of+the+carrion+men&type=

post-2182-0-64862900-1536951465_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, Kevin. Having seen the proof copy I can't wait to have my own in hand! 444 pages of DevilDog history. OooRah! Semper Fi.........Bob

Congratulations Kevin, I just ordered mine and cannot wait for it to arrive. I know this has been a labor of love. Thanks so much for your contributions to ensure the exploits and sacrifices of these men 100 years ago is never forgotten. Kevin

Well you've got my attention!

Congratulations on your new book. I appreciate the fact that you work so hard, with such devotion to preserve our all important history.

I too am interested in a signed copy. How do I go about getting it?

Joe

Well you've got my attention!

Congratulations on your new book. I appreciate the fact that you work so hard, with such devotion to preserve our all important history.

I too am interested in a signed copy. How do I go about getting it?

Joe

Hey Joe I will get a batch ordered for that reason. I will let you know when I get them.

Kevin, I received my copy last night and read as much as I could. I am extremely impressed, and only through the acknowledgements, preface and partway into the introduction. Your writing style and attention to detail and level of research is nothing short of amazing! I am looking forward to the rest as well as up coming volumes. Well done sir!

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I’ve just finished reading this, which is why I haven’t been on the forum for the last 3 days.

I really think this is the best book on Belleau Wood that I’ve read so far. When I first learned that my Grandfather, CPL William DeHaven, 5th Reg HQ company was in the battle of Belleau Wood I started trying to learn about the USMC 4th Brigade. My research led me to George Clark. He sent me a copy of his Devil Dogs: Fighting Marines of World War I. It was wonderful. But it read like a text book. It was detailed and specific and at times hard to follow. Even so, I learned a lot.

Kevin C. Seldon’s book, Among the Ranks of the Carrion Men (Vol I) surpassed all of the many books on Belleau Wood that I’ve read, including Mr. Clarks. And I have a fairly large library now. It was a book I hated to put down. It read like a story book, but it was history written in a way I could understand it. Kevin Seldon took the words right out of many of the books on my shelves, and put them into chronological order, by regiment and battalion. Information is quoted from other sources that I’ll never get a chance to see or read for myself.

Volume I covers the end of May and the first 5 days of June 1918. I can’t wait for Volume II. I would encourage anyone with an interest in the USMC, WW1 or Belleau Wood to get a copy of this.

Thank you Kevin for writing this book. Well done sir.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Jon said it best and I couldn’t agree more. I finished the book last week. I would have finished earlier if my daughter hadn’t been married in my back yard two weeks ago, (that puts a dent on ones free time). The book was fantastic. Like Jon, I have read just about everything I can get my hands on relative to WWI Marines, especially Belleauwood and Kevins book surpasses them all. I am waiting anxiously for the next volume, which I understand will solely cover June 6 and the assaults made that day. I cannot wait!

I have only read a couple of other books on Belleau Wood and this was in a league of its' own. Tons of information laid out in a gripping and fascinating read. I can't imagine the amount of research that went into this book, but it was presented masterfully. Can't wait for volume II. I will take the time to post an Amazon review soon.

Gentlemen I am very humbled by your words. I thank you so very much for the review and the praise, it means a lot. I just wanted to try and tell the story of these guys. It was a pure labor of love. I have been researching this battle for nearly 20 years and it became my passion to try and tell this story the best I could. George Clark was a great mentor and friend sadly we lost him this past year, but I wish he had gotten a chance to see it. It was tough to find the time between my full-time teaching gig at the high school and adjunct work during nights and weekend mornings but it worked. Needless to say I have a pretty awesome and encouraging wife. Volume II is very near I will absolutely keep you all posted when it becomes available. It's turning into a race against the clock. I am so happy that you all enjoyed the first volume. I think you will really enjoy volume II.

Semper Fi

Kevin

This is an awesome work on USMC history in WWI. Kevin's passion to resurrect and remember the Marines who fought and died in this epic battle resounds on every page. I echo jeb137's eloquent post! Can't wait for Vol. II--------Semper Fi and a big OooRAH! - Bob

• 1 month later...

Going to have to order it. My Father in Laws uncle was with the 6th Marines , he was KIA on June 5 1918. My brother in law has some copies of correspondence between his father and the Marines surrounding his death. I made a post on the forum a few years ago and received a lot of help from some fine people about his burial and location at the cemetary

This incident was likely covered in volume 1. Kevin might have additional information over what your family has. You should id the Marine by name, he might just chime in.

Kevin,

I tried to send you a personal message, but for some reason the system won't let me. I'd like to buy a signed copy of your book, or trade you for one of mine, also signed. Please send me a message, if you can. Thanks,

Pete Belmonte

• 3 weeks later...

This incident was likely covered in volume 1. Kevin might have additional information over what your family has. You should id the Marine by name, he might just chime in.

His name was Edmund Wilson

I gotta get around to buying a copy. I recall Kevin presenting me with my wife's great great uncle's records several years ago, he was Kia june 7.