Some of my WWII AAF flying helmets

VenitHora

Under the old adage "you get what you pay for", Stephen is without question in my mind the best at his craft. Sefton Clothing has a whole host of products he's not just a repair service. I have found his work to be very reasonably priced, for what he does. Might you get it done cheaper someplace else, maybe you can. But if authenticity is your goal then Stephen is your guy.

Under the old adage "you get what you pay for", Stephen is without question in my mind the best at his craft. Sefton Clothing has a whole host of products he's not just a repair service. I have found his work to be very reasonably priced, for what he does. Might you get it done cheaper someplace else, maybe you can. But if authenticity is your goal then Stephen is your guy.

I agree! If its worth getting it done, its worth doing it right and paying the price!

You speak the truth! Stephen restored my very first Type C that I got as a teenager back in the 70s. He's restored 8 different Type Cs and 2 Type Ds. Mostly it's been replacing the wrecked ear cups, but he really blew me away when I sent him a USAAF taped ear cup Type C. The lining was shredded and some of the outside was in trouble too. He repaired the outside and surprised me by replacing the lining with an actual wartime NOS lining.

Right now he has four projects of mine in process. I'm a sucker for saving stuff that looks beaten up. Each time he's come through. I can't recommend him enough

post-68384-0-39987700-1548312461.jpg

post-68384-0-63253100-1548312467.jpg

post-68384-0-80376300-1548312479.jpg

Thought I'd might add one more flight helmet to this great thread. I have a twofold purpose, one is to share this helmet with fellow Forum members and the second to put in a plug for a great restorer. I as a general rule, do not restore items from my collection. I tend to be a more "leave as is" collector. But there are always exceptions to the norm. This Brit C Helmet belonged to James F. Hackler, a Silver Star recipient and pilot with the 358th Fighter Group. The 358th, "The Orange Tails", were a P-47 group with the 9th Air Force. Hackler's long and heroic career is too long to elaborate here in this flight helmet thread but maybe I'll post a separate thread about this man and his grouping that I am fortunate to be the caretaker of.

Any how as you can tell this is an id'd combat used British C Helmet, as worn by many US pilots. The two ear cups were completely roached and deteriorated so I sent the helmet off to my friend Stephen Silburn at Sefton Clothing. Stephen is a master when it comes to helmet restoration and I would not hesitate for a second to recommend him for any projects you might have. I have included a couple of "before and after" photos of the helmet receiver cup replacements. Interesting to note how the US receivers fit into the cups and makes you realize why many US flyers "taped" them in. Thanks for looking.

Paul (aka Scarecrow)

attachicon.gifresized_Five.jpgattachicon.gifresized_Two.jpgattachicon.gifresized_One.jpgattachicon.gifresized_image1.jpg

Interesting. Stephen is repairing one that I believe belonged to an Orange Tail pilot as well :) I'll post it when it returns back across the pond!

Interesting. Stephen is repairing one that I believe belonged to an Orange Tail pilot as well :) I'll post it when it returns back across the pond!

Dan,

Would LOVE to see that helmet when you get it back. And I also have an affinity for the "been there" items no matter how salty looking.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

nothing very special, but here's my only AAF helmet, an A-9 with R-14 receivers, AN6530 goggles and 2-44 dated A-14 mask, I have an ANB-M-C1 mic & cord to fit in the mask on order.

cheers, John

post-105780-0-51700600-1561147323_thumb.jpg