Some of my WWII AAF flying helmets

VenitHora

Thanks for all these photos, a lot of amazing pieces ;)

Here is a B-5 helmet with leather earcups and oxygen mask snaps :

14uxkw3.png

15x26hk.png

and a picture of the same helmet used by a gunner of the 91st BG, taken in February 1943 :

v4aul1.png

All the best.

Will

Another interesting picture showing combat cameramen on B-26s. The men have different helmets including a B6 and A9 with sponge rubber earcups and a B6 with regular leather cups. They also have a mix of B3 and B4 life vests and A4 flying suits with zipper and non zipper pockets.

post-8296-0-46928200-1539837634_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the back. The cups are made from canvas. I have not researched this one but another member has a B6 helmet with the same cups from a member of the 333rd BS, 94th BG of the 8th Air Force. I am not sure if these were done only by that group or by many squadrons/groups.

post-8296-0-78817700-1541138457_thumb.jpeg

Jon looks like you have a very nice and not standard examples of AAF helmets. Thanks for sharing. What a pity that not soo many forum members show us his examples:(

Regsrds,

Jerry

Here is a well modified B-6 helmet. It has leather earcups for the ANB-H-1 receivers and oxygen mask snaps :

kf5e8x.jpg

2uh624w.jpg

All the best.

Will

Nice flight helmets.

Is there a book about the different types of helmets used?

Here is my recommendation:

Vintage Flying Helmets - Aviation Headgear Before The Jet Age

By Mick J. Prodger

Schiffer Publishing

ISBN 0-88740-776-5

Really a must have for the reference Library, especially if one plans on collecting flight helmets.

Here is my recommendation:

Vintage Flying Helmets - Aviation Headgear Before The Jet Age

By Mick J. Prodger

Schiffer Publishing

ISBN 0-88740-776-5

Really a must have for the reference Library, especially if one plans on collecting flight helmets.

Thanks. Id like to add a couple to my collection but wanted some reference material first.

• 2 months later...

Here is a B6 with sponge rubber earcups, the helmet has "80" painted on the front for what I presume could be 80 missions. Whoever owned it before modified it by cutting the brim off the helmet.

post-8296-0-26996800-1547338729_thumb.jpeg

Here is a later pattern C helmet used by the AAF. It has white tape on the earcups and the addition of a goggle retaining strap on top.

post-8296-0-87122800-1547602883_thumb.jpeg

Thought I'd might add one more flight helmet to this great thread. I have a twofold purpose, one is to share this helmet with fellow Forum members and the second to put in a plug for a great restorer. I as a general rule, do not restore items from my collection. I tend to be a more "leave as is" collector. But there are always exceptions to the norm. This Brit C Helmet belonged to James F. Hackler, a Silver Star recipient and pilot with the 358th Fighter Group. The 358th, "The Orange Tails", were a P-47 group with the 9th Air Force. Hackler's long and heroic career is too long to elaborate here in this flight helmet thread but maybe I'll post a separate thread about this man and his grouping that I am fortunate to be the caretaker of.

Any how as you can tell this is an id'd combat used British C Helmet, as worn by many US pilots. The two ear cups were completely roached and deteriorated so I sent the helmet off to my friend Stephen Silburn at Sefton Clothing. Stephen is a master when it comes to helmet restoration and I would not hesitate for a second to recommend him for any projects you might have. I have included a couple of "before and after" photos of the helmet receiver cup replacements. Interesting to note how the US receivers fit into the cups and makes you realize why many US flyers "taped" them in. Thanks for looking.

Paul (aka Scarecrow)

post-23999-0-18821700-1547923765.jpgpost-23999-0-10278900-1547923777.jpgpost-23999-0-29302500-1547923794.jpgpost-23999-0-58715600-1547923823.jpg