APH-6C helmet - date unknown but possible VF-154 circa 1970

Bob Hudson

I picked up four helmets from a retired Navy captain who spent 30 years as a flight surgeon and F4 Phantom RIO, flying combat missions with VF-154 from USS Ranger, in some of the last US Navy strikes of the war in Dec. 1972 and Jan. 1973.

He spent most of this Navy career in a reserve squadron, VF-302, and I have a couple of helmets from that squadron, but I wanted to find out if this helmet is something issued around 1970?????

Photos or the other helmets and flight gear are at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/316130-helmets-gear-usn-flight-surgeonf4-phantom-rio/

The red stripes on this go with the red stripes on the VF-154 Phantoms.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Looks like a dual visor model due to the wide/thick rails.

Very possible.The C model I recall was one of the later variants

This explains it better than I can

APH-6C and APH-6D
On 25 April 1969 the MIL-H-22995(Wep) specification is updated to MIL-H-22995A(AS).
As a result two new versions of the APH-6 series of helmet, the APH-6C and APH-6D are introduced, APH-6C being a double-visor version and APH-6D a single-visor version. The main changes introduced were a new two-part styrene energy absorbing liner, smaller earcups with plastic-covered earpads and smaller fitting pads. (Federal Stock Number for APH-6C size medium and large assigned on 1 May 1970, for APH-6D size large on 18 February 1972, and size medium on 2 March 1972)

http://www.best-of-flightgear.dk/aph6helm.htm

The helmet doesn't really seem to be marked to a specific squadron, but it looks to be the oldest of the group...1970. I think it's safe to say this was the one he used during his Vietnam tour. I don't think the swing oxygen mask receptacles saw service in Vietnam....maybe mid 70's. The HGU-33 would be next.....maybe early 80's. The HGU-55 to end his career. That's my thinking.....outstanding set of helmets!

The helmet doesn't really seem to be marked to a specific squadron, but it looks to be the oldest of the group...1970. I think it's safe to say this was the one he used during his Vietnam tour. I don't think the swing oxygen mask receptacles saw service in Vietnam....maybe mid 70's. The HGU-33 would be next.....maybe early 80's. The HGU-55 to end his career. That's my thinking.....outstanding set of helmets!

Thanks - I didn't know if the helmet's stripes had anything do with VF-154's red stripe on the Phantoms.

stripes.jpg

Of these helmets, this dual visor APH-6C has the most complete electronics.

4.jpg

5.jpg