RS SB With Unknown Markings

Nickman983

Just got this one in today. Shell is a rear seam swivel bail Schlueter heat stamp 517A. The liner it came with is unfortunately in rough shape, but it is a type 8 MSA liner. What really caught my interest though was the markings on either side of this helmet. Both the left and right sides of this helmet are marked with an upside red triangle with a blue T inside. As of now I'm unsure what the significance of the markings or if they are even period correct. Any ideas on what the markings may mean and if they look original would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize in advanced for the pictures not being great. I didn't have great lighting to work with when I was taking them. I will try to take some pictures in natural light tomorrow if the rain holds off.

if anyone is interested here is an imgur link with the original sized pictures

post-169952-0-50178600-1536801477_thumb.jpg

post-169952-0-40654400-1536801482_thumb.jpg

I don’t know what the markings are but I like it! Nice grab! I hope it turns out to be something unusual and rare! I tried bidding on it but the seller wouldn’t accept bids from Canada ☹️ Glad it went to a forum member!

I don’t know what the markings are but I like it! Nice grab! I hope it turns out to be something unusual and rare! I tried bidding on it but the seller wouldn’t accept bids from Canada ☹️ Glad it went to a forum member!

Thanks canpara! the photos on that listing really didn't do this helmet justice.

It looks like bit like a rudimentry 36th “Texas’ infantry division

That was one of my first thoughts as well, especially since this helmet came from a seller in Fort Worth, TX. However given the colors I'm not so sure

• 7 months later...
Nickman983

Been a while since I posted this one. I still haven't figured out what those markings might be. Anyone have any thoughts? My best guess is that they were applied very late during WWII/post war occupation or during the Korean War

GITom1944

I adjusted the saturation on a couple of your pics. Could it be the "T" is actually a symbol such as a caduceus? Maybe this is a medical or veterinary related symbol.

post-2064-0-58922100-1556808905_thumb.jpg

Tom

Nickman983

I adjusted the saturation on a couple of your pics. Could it be the "T" is actually a symbol such as a caduceus? Maybe this is a medical or veterinary related symbol.

attachicon.gifsaturation up.jpg

Tom

Thanks for the adjusted saturation pictures, definitely makes the markings easier to see!

That's an interesting theory that I haven't thought about before. I haven't really seen any pictures of helmets marked with caduceus post WWI, but that's not to say they don't exist. If you or anyone else has pictures of an example I'd love to see it

• 2 weeks later...
The Rooster

Nickman, Check this out... Looks like the mark on your helmet ?

I hope this helps.... sry I gave ya a hard time...

I hope you figure it out.

Italian bersalier shows American soldiers a Beretta submachine gun MAB 38

post-181333-0-96514800-1558158515_thumb.jpg

Nickman983

Thanks for looking into this a bit. I'm thinking that the marking in the picture is that of the 36th infantry division. I'm seeing a rough arrowhead rather than a triangle

I've considered that the marking on my helmet is a very crude 36th insignia but I'm not convinced that is the case duw to the coloring of the markings on my helmet.

In any case thanks for taking the time to look into this!

BILL THE PATCH

That looks like a 36th div t- patch to me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk