Mitchell Cover Branch Distribution and Variation

NamHelmet

I was poking around the forum to find an answer for this, along with looking at period photos and reviewing contracts.

Was the Mitchell pattern cover distributed per contract regardless of branch (Army, USMC, Navy), or was it specific? I am not fluent in logistics of that era.

Secondly, was one variant more commonly used with Marines than with the Army?

The 2 lids in the center of my top shelf are two distinct variants for example. What caused this pattern variation? (Something to do with Cotton Twill?...)

post-30111-15367273735894.jpeg

I believe the only distribution factor by branch would apply only to those late 50s USMC marked covers the.To Wit, USMC Project Number 5501 DC & TSC DIR. MFG. 4 February 1959, and USMC Project Number 5850 DC & TSC DIR. MFG. 10 December 1959, others can add more I'm sure.

The second question, variations, just that manufacturer variation, on both placement/printing of camouflage leafs, stems, the size of these leafs and stems etc etc., and the way they where cut and sewn together, each one creating a distinctively different pattern, a look, from one to the other, and of course, dyes, there will be subtle shade differences, this will pertain only to unissued covers, as used ones, even lightly used ones will start to exhibit changes in shade of color, no two looking the same really, each one fading etc differently from the next.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I believe the only distribution factor by branch would apply only to those late 50s USMC marked covers the.To Wit, USMC Project Number 5501 DC & TSC DIR. MFG. 4 February 1959, and USMC Project Number 5850 DC & TSC DIR. MFG. 10 December 1959, others can add more I'm sure.

The second question, variations, just that manufacturer variation, on both placement/printing of camouflage leafs, stems, the size of these leafs and stems etc etc., and the way they where cut and sewn together, each one creating a distinctively different pattern, a look, from one to the other, and of course, dyes, there will be subtle shade differences, this will pertain only to unissued covers, as used ones, even lightly used ones will start to exhibit changes in shade of color, no two looking the same really, each one fading etc differently from the next.

There are also 2 different sizes of weaving of the base cloth. One is courser than the other, I'm pretty sure they were made at the same time just in different factories